How I dropped nitrates on a large system without water changes

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Backstory
Let me start by saying I had a 600 gallon system with 100+ fish that ran well for years. I hardly attended to it because I was on the road for two, almost three years straight. Due to a large mangrove population and some rocks that had been cycled 15+ years my nutrients stayed low. The roots of the mangroves ended up breaking the PVC and compromising the structure.

I was forced to set up my new system with several large fish I couldn't part with. I dumped a ton of ammonia and bacteria additives to cycle this tank in as little time as possible. Bio-Spira had the best results. Fritz Turbo Start was added after the Bio and may have been too powerful. The cycle went to so a grinding halt until I added trace elements and phosphates. (Nitrates need some phosphates to process).

What worked

I tried biopellets and always had issues with bacterial blooms. After a month of constant blooms I took them offline and chose to dose Vodka. I started a 5ml a day and over the course of a months ramped it up quickly to 15ml a day. I never saw any blooms but I had several short cycles that appeared as my rocks cycled. When this occurred I dosed Seachem Stability and Microbe-Lift Special blend. I also added a marinepure block in a low flow area, a gallon of marinepure spheres, and 4L of Seachem Matrix to aid the bacteria population. I have had a refugium this whole time but did not feel it could handle the nutrient load. Over the course of a month I only preformed one 40% water change (I was injured). The water change had little affect on nitrates.

Obviously everything I have done is anecdotal evidence but I feel the Matrix/bacteria/vodka blend was the strongest combatant to nitrates.
I will be running a Pond Matrix experiment on a tank that has been running for a few months with high nitrates. I plan on adding 12L to a 150 gallon tank with only two small clowns. No lights, and as hard as it is no added carbon source. What do you guys think? Would you change or add anything to this experiment?

Below is a few pictures of my tank when it was first set up and how it's looking now using these methods.

hY4V1oA.jpg

hxfdn6E.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a bio media using Aquaforest life bio fil and a little zeovit media. I have also read that a few have had great success with Siprox bio media in the sump.

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa, i think I've seen you around. Small world. Let me know if you wanna trade frags when I'm back at 100%. I plan on doing some bulk orders from overseas as well.

I have honestly never looked into Aquaforest but the claims look really promising. I think it's weird you have to change out ~10% of the media. Maybe that's to ensure the bacteria is still kicking. Most of their products do not have reviews yet but the salt is very highly rated. Maybe this can be a cheaper option than Zeo. I prefer to buy American products but aside from Echotech there isn't many options. Even Red Sea is based out of Isreal and Neptune is one of the worst companies out there IMO.

Maybe if my Pond Matrix does not yield results I will pull it and try Aquaforest. If you guys are reading this feel free to send me some :D hahaha.

Back