How long do corals live.

Pewmichael

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I was wondering how long do corals live if you didn't add any suppliments but did weekly water changes with a good brand of salt and good lighting.

MOPAR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting question. It would depend on many factors like what size tank, what coral type, how large of a water change and even how sensitive each coral is as not all even of the same genus are made equal? You could likely get away with water changes only with a softie based tank. Once you get into LPS and SPS the demand for supplements will go up as they grow. Sure you could keep them alive for awhile on frequent large water changes, but usually the demand will out weight the gain from a water change. Dosing what ever the method will be easier in the end than trying to battle calcium and alk uptake with water changes alone. The corals may live, but will not thrive and I think that is the goal to keep a healthy thriving tank not just keep it alive. I have gone long periods without dosing in the past and it was way harder trying to play catch up then just dosing supplements in the first place. Hope this helps. There is alot more that could be discussed on the subject and there are many ways to tackle this hobby successfully. If water changes alone worked then dosing wouldn't be the norm, but that isn't the case. I don't think my current water change schedule could even keep up with just my coralline growth.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way they grow, the better question would be 'how long does a single portion live'. A coral continually grows, though if you studied polyps you might find different stories. I know anemones live an amazingly long time. Though this has all changed now that humans have taken over and pollute so much.. :(

Tegridy Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I believe those giant claims are like 100s of years old saw this awesome Google view thing and was the largest coral in the world was just a wall of a huge monti

OP
OP
Pewmichael

Pewmichael

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting question. It would depend on many factors like what size tank, what coral type, how large of a water change and even how sensitive each coral is as not all even of the same genus are made equal? You could likely get away with water changes only with a softie based tank. Once you get into LPS and SPS the demand for supplements will go up as they grow. Sure you could keep them alive for awhile on frequent large water changes, but usually the demand will out weight the gain from a water change. Dosing what ever the method will be easier in the end than trying to battle calcium and alk uptake with water changes alone. The corals may live, but will not thrive and I think that is the goal to keep a healthy thriving tank not just keep it alive. I have gone long periods without dosing in the past and it was way harder trying to play catch up then just dosing supplements in the first place. Hope this helps. There is alot more that could be discussed on the subject and there are many ways to tackle this hobby successfully. If water changes alone worked then dosing wouldn't be the norm, but that isn't the case. I don't think my current water change schedule could even keep up with just my coralline growth.

Thanks for your thoughts.
As I have a small tank 90 liters, I don't nessesary want then to grow, but to survive. The reason why I posted the question was someone from an aquarium shop told me that corals will only live for 8 months with out supplements. As I've kept corals for many years know that's not the case but do agree with what your saying if you want them to grow.
Regards

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the folks here have had corals for a couple decades. If that's what your wondering. Yes. In theory They will live longer than you.
Good luck with that.

Yes a coral needs supplements. Dosing is about depletion. They absorb food and minerals from the water. In an enclosed system they will use all of it. So the vitamins and minerals need to be replenished by doing. Cal alk and mag being the big three.we all know so well. In more advanced Reefing many micro nutrients and other elements need to be replenished as well. This is usually not for the everyday reefer a huge concern as the dosages are small and replenished by consistent water changes.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your thoughts.
As I have a small tank 90 liters, I don't nessesary want then to grow, but to survive. The reason why I posted the question was someone from an aquarium shop told me that corals will only live for 8 months with out supplements. As I've kept corals for many years know that's not the case but do agree with what your saying if you want them to grow.
Regards

Depends on the Corals.

Keeping Acros is much much different than Keeping Mushrooms.

To say Corals will Die after 8 Months of Not Dosing is Silly.

I know a Zillion people that do not Dose.

Yes, they have a higher than average Die off than those that are on top of things but it is not like their Corals Die 8 Months after getting them (And some Die Much Much Quicker).

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's the longest living coral you guys have had?

OP
OP
Pewmichael

Pewmichael

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the longest living coral you guys have had?
Hi
I've kept various types of corals for many years without suppliments. Agreed they didnt grow, but they looked good and survived ok. I guess my point is do you really need to supplement, I don't think so. The same can be said for fertilizing your garden, this will still grow and flower dut maybe not as well. I think many people could be trapped in thinking that they must suppliment their systems, just remember that shops will sell you products you might not necessary need to keep corals.
Regards.

Mikemccafe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a gorgonian that I had for more than 20 years survived a fire in my business, and a frog spawn coral that I had over 15 years and this was in my early years of reef keeping they survived while I learned through the early years when reef keeping was relatively new in the early 90's. Unfortunately I lost these coral due to equipment failure when establishing a new set up heartbreaking

pagoda1958

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pagoda, 12 years old. Started at 6" across and now 13" across and 5" deep. Brancing hammer, 7 years old and about 8" across

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by supplements? If you are including those to maintain calcium and alkalinity, then the person from the shop might have a point. You probably can keep soft corals just through water changes, but for stony corals water changes can never keep up with their demands, once they attain some size and start growing.

Back