How long do you quarantine coral and fish

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title says it all. How long do you quarantine or do you quarantine at all?

For fish I like to do a freshwater dip and use safety stop fish dip and then quarantine in a QT tank for observation for 2 months and to get them used to the diet they will be provided in the display.

For corals i acclimate to temperature, pour into a bowl, then use a turkey baster and blow water all around the frag then put it on my frag rack.

Image: my latest quarantine patients

IMG_0812.jpeg

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not quarantine fish but I might do an observation similar to yours next time. Most diseases would have shown up in that time frame.
i do not have corals.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I either QT or at minimum give fish a 30 min Ruby rally bath

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
how effective is it? would you use it on another tang and put it to your collection of tangs after?
Its mainly tangs I do this with and Ruby covers bacterial, velvet, fungal and worms/flukes
If its a tang that's prone to ich such as achillles, powder blue, hepatus as examples- I highly recommend conventional 30 day quarantine

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely buy fish now as my rascal Powder Brown Tang is bullying most of new acquisitions which even remotly resemble tangs, but if I do I keep new fish in passive QT without treatment for 2 months or so.
I do keep coral under observation for few weeks as I found that some frag plugs contain bonus inhabitants like baby aiptasia.

1fastfxr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I qt fish by making sure they are eating, then I raise copper over four days to therapeutic levels. I hold them there for 15 days (just to give them an extra day to be sure) then do a water change. I also feed Metroplex bound to food with Focus during this time. Next, I do two rounds of Prazi Pro dosed six days apart with a 25% water change in between and observe for two weeks after.
As for corals, I cut them off their plugs and dip them I'm Coral Rx, then most times Bayer then glue them to rubble rock. I like the natural look. I do not do not cut them if the coral are entrusting. I Put them in a coral qt tank for 6 days. After that, I pull them out and dip them again in case there were any eggs the dips didn't get, watch them for 24 more days then dip them again and off to the main display tank they go. I have caught several pests this way as well as unwanted algea. Having said that, I should add, I also do a peroxide dip if necessary. Inverts I just put in my coral qt for 30 days.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 week observational QT for fish, medicate as needed. Bayer dip and visual inspection of coral then straight into tank.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I QT all incoming fish using a modification of the Humblefish protocol. Combo copper, Prazi, Metronidozole, and food with Metronidozole for 10 days. Short intermediate bath between QT tank and display.

All (and I mean every rock, crab, snail, starfish, coral, algae, grain of sand, etc, etc - unless dry or sterilized to begin with) invertebrates go through minimum of 76 day fishless quarantine.

There literally is no point in quarantining your fish if you don't: a) prophylactically treat for parasites, and b) quarantine everything else.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I qt fish by making sure they are eating, then I raise copper over four days to therapeutic levels. I hold them there for 15 days (just to give them an extra day to be sure) then do a water change. I also feed Metroplex bound to food with Focus during this time. Next, I do two rounds of Prazi Pro dosed six days apart with a 25% water change in between and observe for two weeks after.
This looks like the same method outlined in the Humblefish QT guide? Very similar to what I do.

Boss.

As for corals, I cut them off their plugs and dip them I'm Coral Rx, then most times Bayer then glue them to rubble rock. I like the natural look. I do not do not cut them if the coral are entrusting. I Put them in a coral qt tank for 6 days. After that, I pull them out and dip them again in case there were any eggs the dips didn't get, watch them for 24 more days then dip them again and off to the main display tank they go.
Also boss.

I have caught several pests this way as well as unwanted algea.
Amen to this - it's so easy to catch this stuff in QT. I use H2O2 and then super glue over algae (or aiptasia, etc) when I find it. It's great knowing I will never have to battle/put-up-with bubble (or some of the other pain-in-the-rear) algae. Ever.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back