How long does the Ugly Stage Last?

fideladio

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 25, 2020
Messages
24
Reaction score
9
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, just want to know a couple of things.

How long does the ugly stage last?

I know there's now miracle product to skip the whole ugly stage but is there something to help speed it up or make it less ugly or troublesome?

Should I clean all the algae that my tank is producing during ugly stage, should I scrape my rocks?

Thanks in advance
 
Well.... im 37 and I dont see it getting any better :) hahahaha... every tank is different. 6 months to 18 months... i think is pretty average...
 
6-12 months. I’d avoid any shortcut chemicals. Most of them can cause additional problems IMO. Do your water changes, manual removal, be sure to only use R/O water. Keep it natural and tailor your cleanup crew.
 
Last edited:
6-12 months. I’d avoid any shortcut chemicals. Most of them can cause additional problems IMO. Do your water changes, manual removal, be sure to only use R/O water. Keep it natural and tailor your cleanup crew.
Alright, I do weekly 10% WC every Saturday I use RODI water but I still don't have CUC.
 
An algae turf scrubber can help concentrate some of the ugly stuff away from your display. I have built a couple they aren't real hard to build if you follow the guidelines.
 
Alright, I do weekly 10% WC every Saturday I use RODI water but I still don't have CUC.

Once the algae starts, get some nice big turbo snails to bulldoze it. I also like Banded Trochus snails. Anything smaller than those I find to be unhelpful and just clog pumps.
 
Once the algae starts, get some nice big turbo snails to bulldoze it. I also like Banded Trochus snails. Anything smaller than those I find to be unhelpful and just clog pumps.
Jajaja awesome great! Thanks
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new