How long till coraline algae?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this a few times already and it never did anything.
Nothing good happens right away .
Essentially you’re waiting for the spores or algae to take in another location .

Once it happens , you will wish you never had coralline algae .

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing good happens right away .
Essentially you’re waiting for the spores or algae to take in another location .

Once it happens , you will wish you never had coralline algae .
Oh I agree 100%

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placing a Coralline covered snail shell onto some of my "deader" live rock produced "spots" after three weeks.
The spots:
9AA9C0EA-ECF6-4D1B-9946-BB8C3C2D672D.jpeg

The shell:
F26247D7-33AA-412D-A387-58D462EA9A77.jpeg

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about it, it's a good thing. One tuxedo urchin will make sure you never gets too much coraline algae - whatever it can't finish eating it'll make fashionable cloth out of them

20210131_172356.jpg
This is too cute! It makes me want one. I have noticed the first spots of coraline algae this week. I wish you had a video of his eating the "stored" food on his back. Do you attach nori when he doesn't have any?

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, the best thing you can do for coraline algae is to make calcification as easy as possible, and for that to happen alk and ca levels alone is only half the battle. PH is the secret sauce bc alk is a total concentration of sodium carbonate and bicarbonate. Calcification needs carbonate, which exist in higher concentrations in higher pH.

My tank had always maintained alk between 8 to 9 and calcium north of 425. However for years I struggled with getting any coralline. Turns out my pH was always at 7.7 and it wasn't until I switched to soda ash and added co2 scrubber to boost my pH to 8.2 that my coraline exploded. Entire tank turned purple within 2 months
This actually helped explain a lot to me. This makes sense because I have stopped testing pH after maintaining stability for a while and assume it could be on the slightly lower end. Regardless my tank has been finding some amazing balance so I dont want to change anything for corrallines sake. Great info though!

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is too cute! It makes me want one. I have noticed the first spots of coraline algae this week. I wish you had a video of his eating the "stored" food on his back. Do you attach nori when he doesn't have any?
Coraline grows back super fast in my tank - rocks that he strips clean turn back purple in about 1 week. I also leave the back glass dirty with algae to feed him and my snails.

I also feed a ton for a 30G so he will never run out of food.

Bought him 3 years ago about the size of a quarter. Now he's about 2-3 inches across.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchins use debris as camoflauge from my understanding not necessarily to eat at a later time. It's possibly used to shield from UV rays or for blending into the rockscape (anti-predatory).

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how long it takes. My tank after fifty years still has no coraline algae. Maybe in another year. ;Bookworm
So I transferred half of my stuff from my 137g to a new 180g a year ago. Easy process, no cycle. But still no Coralline. If you can wait 51 years!!!!!!!

Baneston

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about it, it's a good thing. One tuxedo urchin will make sure you never gets too much coraline algae - whatever it can't finish eating it'll make fashionable cloth out of them

20210131_172356.jpg
I think this is my problem!!!! He turbo cleans everything… we refer to ours as uncle fester!

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 years ago in new york i had a wet dry, power compact lighting and used tap water ....tons of coraline needed to be scraped off the glass...moved the tank down here ...different glass box ,same rock, ro/di, radion...virtually no coraline for the last10 yrs...

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20210131_172356.jpg
Love my tuxedo urchin.

Back