How long to isolate a bully?

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a new fish yesterday (juvi wrasse) and my current lone resident (starcki damsel) began chasing him. I realize that after enjoying the tank for about 4 months the starcki has claimed the entire tank as his territory. So I moved the damsel to a breeder net to let the wrasse adjust. Almost immediately the wrasse began exploring and looked much calmer.

My question is how long should I keep the damsel in isolation? The tank is a standard 29 gallons and there are two rock piles on either side, so I’m hoping that the wrasse will pick one and the damsel can have the other.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timeframe is hard to say, however if it is possible maybe consider rescaping the rocks a little to make it seem like all new territory. That might help, but damsels can be the devil. Another method would be to introduce a few new fish at once to spread the "love" amongst all the new inhabitants. If that is not possible, then consider the rescaping idea. Hope that helps and good luck.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had another thought too. I have heard some have luck with putting a mirror against the tank to mimic an additional damsel swimming about. Just note that I have tried this personally to help with wrasse aggression, but with no luck.

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'd second the rescaping a bit. I've done that in the past to break up some Tang territorialism. It worked pretty well, but as was already said, Damsels can be just mean.

OP
OP
cd459

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timeframe is hard to say, however if it is possible maybe consider rescaping the rocks a little to make it seem like all new territory. That might help, but damsels can be the devil. Another method would be to introduce a few new fish at once to spread the "love" amongst all the new inhabitants. If that is not possible, then consider the rescaping idea. Hope that helps and good luck.
I did at little rescaping before adding the wrasse but the damsel didn’t seem fazed. I did try the mirror trick and it worked somewhat, the the starcki was still preventing the wrasse from swimming near the rocks. I’m hoping the isolation shakes up the starcki’s confidence and mellows him out while the wrasse adjusts.

OP
OP
cd459

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd second the rescaping a bit. I've done that in the past to break up some Tang territorialism. It worked pretty well, but as was already said, Damsels can be just mean.
How drastically did u rescape? I changed up about half the rocks, but the issue is I really like how they look now lol

reefer024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To avoid this in the future, you might want to consider only adding fish at night. I've had good success with this when I had a bully damsel as well. That was awhile ago, now I won't even buy a damsel or any bully fish.

robdareefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a issue with this as well I had a Lubbock fairy wrasse already and added a six line and the six line would not leave him alone it took 3 rounds moving the six line to the sump it took over a month I think the last time was so long he figured it out but now everything is great plus it gave the fairy wrasse time to realize if he doesn’t run it won’t chases him as bad

OP
OP
cd459

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To avoid this in the future, you might want to consider only adding fish at night. I've had good success with this when I had a bully damsel as well. That was awhile ago, now I won't even buy a damsel or any bully fish.
I thought since the starcki is generally peaceful there wouldn't be an issue. But I clearly thought wrong... :/

OP
OP
cd459

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a issue with this as well I had a Lubbock fairy wrasse already and added a six line and the six line would not leave him alone it took 3 rounds moving the six line to the sump it took over a month I think the last time was so long he figured it out but now everything is great plus it gave the fairy wrasse time to realize if he doesn’t run it won’t chases him as bad
Wow a month in the sump? I'm currently planning on a few days lol. In the meantime I may see if I can add some more rocks or maybe another fish.

Back