How many BTAs for 20 clown harem?

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of a harem of 20 clowns for a 125 gallon tank, how many BTAs would I need and how many could comfortably fit? Also are they compatible with SPS?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones won't mix well with other corals if they get close/ touching. Have you kept groups of clowns before? I'd get as many anemones as you can, and the clowns young and from the same clutch raised together.

OP
OP
H

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones won't mix well with other corals if they get close/ touching. Have you kept groups of clowns before? I'd get as many anemones as you can, and the clowns young and from the same clutch raised together.
Okay.

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
As many as you can fit as long as you have good filtration! I use magnificas and carpets for my harem. there’s 8 clownfish in there so far 10 magnifica anemones, 4 gigantea carpets, 4 Haddoni and 1 mertans the tank is a 95 gallon wave front :)

image.jpg

OP
OP
H

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many as you can fit as long as you have good filtration! I use magnificas and carpets for my harem. there’s 8 clownfish in there so far 10 magnifica anemones, 4 gigantea carpets, 4 Haddoni and 1 mertans the tank is a 95 gallon wave front :)

image.jpg
That’s cool! But won’t they fight with each other and my SPS if I put too many?

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Yeah the best way to do a clown harem is to introduce the anemones first and let them settle and then add your coral :)

OP
OP
H

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any other good anenomes besides BTAs that don’t require crazy water quality?

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful

image.jpg
tank

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any other good anenomes besides BTAs that don’t require crazy water quality?
I will have to recommend you try Long tentacle anemones, in all of my experience they are the only anemone I've never killed. They're a lot more resilient to physical damage, mine got caught in a wavemaker 3 times and is now looking better than ever! I have also never had problems with mine and water quality, they tolerate all sorts of different parameters.
Another huge benefit is they stick to the sandbed, so if you have a tall rock structure SPS won't have a problem. Keep in mind, LTA's get HUGE (15"+) and you'll need to account for that. In a 125, I would go for 3-4 in the beginning and as they get larger rehome them.
Another cool thing about them is almost every type of clownfish has been found to be hosted by LTAs, even percs and occs! Another cool trait about them is they're tentacles don't deform over time like with some BTA's, they stay straight forever and don't get ugly.
I would consider LTA's for sure, either in addition (not recommended) or on they're own (recommended). In fact, I'm planning on starting a harem of skunk clowns when I can get my tank stable again.

Good luck and God bless!

OP
OP
H

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to recommend you try Long tentacle anemones, in all of my experience they are the only anemone I've never killed. They're a lot more resilient to physical damage, mine got caught in a wavemaker 3 times and is now looking better than ever! I have also never had problems with mine and water quality, they tolerate all sorts of different parameters.
Another huge benefit is they stick to the sandbed, so if you have a tall rock structure SPS won't have a problem. Keep in mind, LTA's get HUGE (15"+) and you'll need to account for that. In a 125, I would go for 3-4 in the beginning and as they get larger rehome them.
Another cool thing about them is almost every type of clownfish has been found to be hosted by LTAs, even percs and occs! Another cool trait about them is they're tentacles don't deform over time like with some BTA's, they stay straight forever and don't get ugly.
I would consider LTA's for sure, either in addition (not recommended) or on they're own (recommended). In fact, I'm planning on starting a harem of skunk clowns when I can get my tank stable again.

Good luck and God bless!
Wow thanks I will definitely do that.

OP
OP
H

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they compatible with sand sifters tho? Cos I’m planning on keeping some gobies and wrasses.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back