How many fish in 55 gallon?

sdogatvman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I was wondering how many fish would you put into a 55 gallon tank.
My tank (reef system) has a 130 gallon skimmer, 130 gallon canister filter-running lots of chemipure and bioballs, and 52lbs of live rock and 60lbs of live sand.

How many fish could I support in my system?

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i say about as many as u want as long as there is good flow, filteration and they get along. but i mean depends on the size of the fish too

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A number of fish is impossible to say. Different species grow to different sizes, have different behavior, and have different bioloads. Water quality and fish behavior will determine appropriate stocking levels.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^

Way too many varibles, need to have an idea of what fish you want, and not the number.

1 adult panther grouper would already be 1 too many, but 6 longspine cardinals would be fine.

OP
OP
S

sdogatvman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want fish that do a job in the aquarium, some that clean the gravel and some that clean the algae off the rocks. But I also have a different question, what is the biggest reef safe fish I could have in a 55 gallon reef, the fish doesn't have to serve a purpose but just be big.

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as fish serving a purpose, most people use snails and crabs for that job (if you want sand cleaners, nassarius snails are amazing!!) I would say if you want a cleaner up-er thats fun to watch, I would highly suggest you get a fighting conch, I love mine and he's probably 4-5" big. As for a number of fish, as others have said, it depends on multiple things that only you can determine

iloveswfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 12 in mine and 1 large yellow tang that is about 4 inches my tank is 5 yrs old and i have had him since i got my tank 5 yrs ago and some of my other fish i have had 5 yrs also.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish is probably the biggest fish you can get away with in a 55 gal. and it will work for you. You are then limited in how many other fish you have. There is a general rule of 1 inch of fish per five gallons of water in saltwater. Anyway, go to this site and research all the fish and their needs here.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: One Spot Foxface

Jimmy Sanders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon reef aquarium and I have 7 Damsel 4 clownfish two tangs a longnose butterfly and moorish idol and 22 corals is that too much

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon reef aquarium and I have 7 Damsel 4 clownfish two tangs a longnose butterfly and moorish idol and 22 corals is that too much

Depending on what damsels, that may be okay.

Any more than one pair of clowns probably won't work long term.

There aren't any tangs that should be in a 55, unless it's for quarantine.

I'm not a Moorish idol guy, but I would guess that it needs a bigger tank too.

With corals, it doesn't really matter much, as long as they aren't stinging each other to death.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A number of fish is impossible to say. Different species grow to different sizes, have different behavior, and have different bioloads. Water quality and fish behavior will determine appropriate stocking levels.

Agreed. Big difference between the space and needs of say a firefish vs pygmy angel or flasher wrasse (all of them get about 3-3.5 inches in length max but some require way more room to move).

@ the OP, just a heads up, Canister filters can be very problematic in saltwater tanks as they tend to trap the nasties annd are more difficult to get properly cleaned out due to the closed nature and putting a bunch of bioballs, etc. in there is going to make it very easy for things to build up. While sump is best, even a wide open HOB filter (ie Fluval/Aquaclear or Seachem Tidal) is considered preferrable to Canisters for these reasons.

cmustang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys. I was reading your comments. I have a 55 gallon as well, just starting into this magnificent hobby. I currently have a yellow watchman goby, a bleny, two clowns, a fire shrimp, 3 cardinals, a wrasse and planning to get a coral beauty. Is that ok? Or to much? Eventually some will be going to a bigger tank when I get it all set up.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys. I was reading your comments. I have a 55 gallon as well, just starting into this magnificent hobby. I currently have a yellow watchman goby, a bleny, two clowns, a fire shrimp, 3 cardinals, a wrasse and planning to get a coral beauty. Is that ok? Or to much? Eventually some will be going to a bigger tank when I get it all set up.
That looks reasonable to me.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back