How many flow sensors do you run?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

fishstix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how many everyone running? I think I might have went a bit overboard. I am running 8.

creas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 3 at the moment. I have one on my main return and 2 on media reactors that I use if I need to run carbon or phosban or something like that. I find it very handy on the main return pump because I can set the turnover in the tank to what I want. Aside from that, I don't know if having the sensors have really improved anything. What do you use all your sensors for?

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7....
2 Returns.
4 on Manifold (even though I'm only using 1 of them right now, but for Carbon, GFO, biopellets, and future reactor).
1 on emergency drain of overflow, to let me know if I'm draining into emergency :)

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's like ESP, I got it. Supernatural reefkeeping!

I just stick my hand in the water and decide if it's too little, too much or just right.

I'm not one for gizmos, but if I could figure out the tech I would get one. Or 8.

Happy reefing!

NeedMoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zero. are you using as an indication when to clean pump? or tell you media is compacting?

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a flow sensor?

There's a module to add to your controller so you can run inline flow sensors. Reason for them is to monitor how much volume you have flowing through that particular line.
Neptune's module is the FMM. Look it up. Really cool tech stuff.

Rcko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7....
2 Returns.
4 on Manifold (even though I'm only using 1 of them right now, but for Carbon, GFO, biopellets, and future reactor).
1 on emergency drain of overflow, to let me know if I'm draining into emergency :)
Why so much?

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the FMM the same as the module used in the ATK? If so can you add flow sensors to it instead of buying a whole new kit?

jonmos75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the FMM the same as the module used in the ATK? If so can you add flow sensors to it instead of buying a whole new kit?

Yes you can plug them into any avalibe port on the FMM and then configure the port for the size of flow sensor.

Watch the get started video on how to configure depending if you have an Apex Classic or the New Apex.
https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/fmk/

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the FMK is the same as the FMM. Just the "kit" version with some flow pumps, 3 I think

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use 0 on my 500 gallon with basement sump. with all the works around and cheaper ways to tell if something is wrong i just felt like it was a waste of money.

flow sensor on gfo? what? turn until the top tumbles. Flow sensor on a return line? i guess it would be useful to tell you there is a snail.in the impellor but i would rather skip the drama and find him in a filter sock..

but whatever... if you dig flow sensors... which you obviously do, then have a blast..

OP
OP
F

fishstix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all of mine leak, it seems to be a daily fight, as much as I love them I hate them as well. I have tried tape, and the paste but still leak.

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people are judgmental on this one... lol.
Is it overkill? Probably. Part of why so much is because I had 1 kit on my old setup, and really like know that water was flowing through my 1 return line properly. It came with the 2 1/2" sensors also, so I put them on reactors, since they had nowhere else to go (and its cheaper to buy the kit than the FMM and 1" sensor alone). Then, when I upgraded, I wanted a sensor on each return (again, to know that water was flowing properly, especially when I am out of town). So just bought another kit (again, pricing) and hooked it up. I did buy 1 extra to hook to the Emergency drain. Again, just so I can know if my main drains aren't flowing enough and need someone to take a look at it. Each has their function. Sure the 'manifold' 1/2" sensors can easily be left off, but I have them, so why not know what flow is going through (and it would surprise you what the numbers are, compared to what your pump says it runs at...)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back