How many reefers don't use filter socks or floss?

Robb1821i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running a red sea reefer 350 with the media cups instead of socks. I started with floss in each cup. One of the cups is hard to get to with the stock ato reservoir so I filled it with live rock rubble. I'm wondering if I can just put live rock in both and not have to deal with floss anymore?

I have a skimmer, carbon reactor and refugium as well.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running a red sea reefer 350 with the media cups instead of socks. I started with floss in each cup. One of the cups is hard to get to with the stock ato reservoir so I filled it with live rock rubble. I'm wondering if I can just put live rock in both and not have to deal with floss anymore?

I have a skimmer, carbon reactor and refugium as well.
I don’t usually. But sometimes I throw one in for a few days after I feed my gonis or any other powdered food. Or if I stir stuff up in the sump by accident

OP
OP
R

Robb1821i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t usually. But sometimes I throw one in for a few days after I feed my gonis or any other powdered food. Or if I stir stuff up in the sump by accident

What do you have in it's place?

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have in it's place?
Nothing. Cheato where my water runs in the sump. Than sea lettuce and a piece of egg crate dividing the refugium for some fireball macro and some Xenia in the sump. I also have tons of rocks down there. A few snails in the sump some feeder shrimp and some hermits. All things needed to eat food that makes it to the sump

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to but for the last week I took it off. I got 2 non photosynthetic gorgonians(one is a blueberry and I feed at night but I’m thinking it will benefit them to have more particles floating in the water column

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I’m getting a new sump. Will probably eventually invest in the drop in filter roller and add a skimmer(maybe) I’ll probably eventually remove some of the rocks to make room for frag storage

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a sock on the output of my GFO and carbon reactors to catch any pieces that might wash through. I don’t run any other socks or floss in my sump. IMO it catches more good stuff than bad.

OP
OP
R

Robb1821i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing. Cheato where my water runs in the sump. Than sea lettuce and a piece of egg crate dividing the refugium for some fireball macro and some Xenia in the sump. I also have tons of rocks down there. A few snails in the sump some feeder shrimp and some hermits. All things needed to eat food that makes it to the sump

Does the water stay pretty clear?

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got some Rowaphos in a bag that sits just before return pump bit thinking for higher flow maybe to put that bag into one of my socks as I run 2. 1 nylon then a 100micron felt sock.. just not sure still. This is purely to lower phosphates or to keep them in check. Limited space in sump for a reactor.

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank when the lights were coming on

Attachments

• 6D3C5D79-F065-4177-AA21-7FEDBAA49217.jpeg
    6D3C5D79-F065-4177-AA21-7FEDBAA49217.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 28

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 0 difference in clarity with socks as without. The only slight downside I can see is that I collect a bit more detritus in my sump. But I vacuum that each week with my water changes so it’s not an issue.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 0 difference in clarity with socks as without. The only slight downside I can see is that I collect a bit more detritus in my sump. But I vacuum that each week with my water changes so it’s not an issue.
Or go with socks and do no water changes :)-

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back