How Many Tangs? - 380g

PaulieReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there can be different answers to this based off the types of tangs and aquatic aquascape that provides enough hiding places etc, but I feel there is to much aggression in my tank for the amount of tangs I have and the size. Below is a list of tangs I have currently

Vlamingii Tang (Naso Vlamingii)
Purple Tang (Zebrasoma Xanthurum)
Sailfin Tang (Zebrasoma Veliferum)
Koi Tang (Zebrasoma scopas sp)
Hippo Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)
Tomini Tang (Ctenochaetus tominiensis)
Two Spot Bristletooth Tang (Ctenochaetus Binotatus)
Clown Tang (Acanthurus lineatus)

The major issues are the Sailfin, who attacks anyone and everyone, the clown (smallest of the tangs) who chases everyone away from the two algae clips and the vlamingii who will randomly bite any fish.

I guess in a 380g I didn't think 8 tangs would be to much, or is the issue I dont have enough tangs? Or that I have 3 from the same family? I feel I seen people with tanks this big have the same exact fish (like two yellow tangs) and they were fine together. Is this just some bad luck or am I doing something wrong?

Scape below
1680182847921.png

1680182857020.png

1680182869652.png

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there can be different answers to this based off the types of tangs and aquatic aquascape that provides enough hiding places etc, but I feel there is to much aggression in my tank for the amount of tangs I have and the size. Below is a list of tangs I have currently

The major issues are the Sailfin, who attacks anyone and everyone, the clown (smallest of the tangs) who chases everyone away from the two algae clips and the vlamingii who will randomly bite any fish.

I guess in a 380g I didn't think 8 tangs would be to much, or is the issue I dont have enough tangs? Or that I have 3 from the same family? I feel I seen people with tanks this big have the same exact fish (like two yellow tangs) and they were fine together. Is this just some bad luck or am I doing something wrong?

Scape below
1680182847921.png

1680182857020.png

1680182869652.png
I used to hv 6 tangs in my 375 g tank for 3-4yrs so i don't think that8 tanks will be an issue. When I done that, I introduced all the tangs together and in beginning I faced some problems but mirror trick helped me.

It is okay for the tang to aggressively defend it's territory. I always seen aggression in my tank at feeding time. U may feed more if u r facing this. They sometime become aggressive when they hv less hiding place. When i had My tangs, they mostly stayed under their hiding area.

If u think they hv plenty of space, u can try mirror trick. It is the most effective method. Selfin tangs can sometimes become nasty. I personally think that aggression can be coz of territory and food. When they become stressed, they show aggression

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would explain why you don't see many clowns in tanks.
Because they need 5-6 feedings to make them fat. The main problem is bad shipping. They usually not accept food when new coz of bad shipping. They should added last. I think They can't digest their food without biting any fish :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
PaulieReef

PaulieReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because they need 5-6 feedings to make them fat. The main problem is bad shipping. They usually not accept food when new coz of bad shipping. They should added last. I think They can't digest their food without biting any fish :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
My fish get fed 3 times daily, plus algae clips. I have Anthias, so feeding Chroma TDO. I make a mix of medium and small and the fish love it. Auto feeders ftw.

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So uh, how many tangs estimate?!
U r just doing right. I'll say don't add more as u r already facing issues. Although, u can add other small fishes but clown tang can go after new additions. Your clown will get more nasty with increase in It's size.

707Nick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Scape below
1680182847921.png

1680182857020.png

1680182869652.png
Looks like they may need more rock work or places to hide and call there own

triggerBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Scape below
1680182847921.png

1680182857020.png

1680182869652.png
Beautiful!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfin can be aggressive, or they can be calm. Perhaps you’re not feeding enough

The clown tang, if you can get one to survive, is notoriously aggressive, so that’s on you for not doing your research.

Vlamingi is odd, usually a calm fish. Again, maybe underfed?

I had many of the same tangs, plus a trio of yellow, in a similar sized tank with no major issues. No clown though

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having more food will help a lot. Use multiple Nori stations and keep the Nori around all day long. My tank never run out of Nori until late in the afternoon.
My DT was 420 gal and now 320 gal. Even if they are very beautiful, I never keep Clown tang because of aggression and size and any of the Naso tangs due to their sheer size.
I defiantly would not add more tang/s unless you get this problem solve. Remove the problematic tangs?

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My old 300 had...

Blond Naso
Yellow
Purple
Regal blue
Scopas
Desjardini
Clown

My new 330 will have...

Blond Naso
Yellow
Purple
Regal blue
Atlantic blue
Scopas
Tomini
Convict
Desjardini
Achilles
Clown
Gem

From my experience...Larger groups seem to do better since the aggression is spread out more. If they have the same body type they need to be different sizes to allow a pecking order to be established. When they are similar size and shape they always seem to fight.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back