How much are you dosing in your nano tank?

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a nano tank (for argument sake, let's say under 40 gallons), how much do you dose daily of each element? And what kinds of corals do you have?

I have a 25 gallon mixed reef spread pretty evenly between LPS and softies, and will be adding a decent amount of SPS soon. Currently I dose alk and chaetogro daily. Ultimately trying to gauge if I'll need to dose a lot of Ca or Mg down the line (probably).

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't regular water changes usually take care of everything for you? Does your alk really drop that much? I have an LPS and soft tank to 65g display and 15g sump pretty well coral stocked and weekly 10g water change suffices fine. I guess if you want to limit your water changes then eventually some dosing is needed but LPS doesn't use much cal or mag so maybe just alk.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't regular water changes usually take care of everything for you? Does your alk really drop that much? I have an LPS and soft tank to 65g display and 15g sump pretty well coral stocked and weekly 10g water change suffices fine. I guess if you want to limit your water changes then eventually some dosing is needed but LPS doesn't use much cal or mag so maybe just alk.
I currently do a 15% water change weekly. My alk drops 0.2 dkh per day. I'm looking to move to biweekly water or less frequent water changes. Purely for the easy of use; I don't mind doing water changes

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to dose alkalinity (sodium bicarbonate) fairly regularly. Seems topping off with RODI burns through it pretty quickly. About 1/4 tablespoon daily in the top off. Was using Red Sea AB+ powder and my calcium got up to about 550 to 600 trying to keep up with the alkalinity

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a ~10g sps nano. Dose roughly 10ml of each esv solution daily. But I dilute it to half strength and dose as 20ml at hourly intervals. I think this comes out to around 2dkh of alk each day? Water changes are a must to control salinity…

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently do a 15% water change weekly. My alk drops 0.2 dkh per day. I'm looking to move to biweekly water or less frequent water changes. Purely for the easy of use; I don't mind doing water changes
I wonder why your alk drops so much? I have about 20 corals, good size pieces and I don't even get .1 per day alk drop maybe .05.

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why your alk drops so much? I have about 20 corals, good size pieces and I don't even get .1 per day alk drop maybe .05.
Alk drop has a lot to do with the mass of coral to water volume, growth rate, and types of coral being grown so every tank is different.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just over 20 corals. My anthelia is a weed and has been growing nuts, but I cut a lot out. My xenia and GSP are also growing a lot. As for the rest, I have basic softies, LPS, and a single birdsnest frag. I will be adding 3 more SPS frags and then that will be the last of the coral that will be added anytime in the next year most likely.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just over 20 corals. My anthelia is a weed and has been growing nuts, but I cut a lot out. My xenia and GSP are also growing a lot. As for the rest, I have basic softies, LPS, and a single birdsnest frag. I will be adding 3 more SPS frags and then that will be the last of the coral that will be added anytime in the next year most likely.
I have been looking at the Red Sea 2 head doser for alk and cal as im sure my tank will need it at some point also once I start adding some SPS.

I guess the goal is to keep consistent numbers week after week and avoid fluctuations so if what you are currently doing with your tank is working well then don't change it up.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at the Red Sea 2 head doser for alk and cal as im sure my tank will need it at some point also once I start adding some SPS.

I guess the goal is to keep consistent numbers week after week and avoid fluctuations so if what you are currently doing with your tank is working well then don't change it up.
Yeah, I currently keep it stable with manual dosing for alk. I haven’t noticed much change in Ca or Mg day to day

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really see any fluctuate in cal or mag either. Have you had an ICP test to check everything?
I’ve thought about it, but not yet. I’ve mainly been waiting for my bryopsis problem to resolve, which should be another week yet. Then I might do one of those tests

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back