How much are you dosing in your nano tank?

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much Alk and Ca is needed is so system specific that you just need to roll with whatever your test kit numbers are telling you and adjust your dosing from there. On the one end of the spectrum some systems can get away with just water changes...and at the other end some need multiple forms of Alk/Ca supplementation just to keep up.

I can say that in my old 12g mixed reef (~10g of water and 10%/wk water changes) I need to run nearly full strength Kalkwasser in the ATOs (about 1 qt. needed every 3 days).

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently dose 1.4ml of seachem 2 part and then 8ml of kalkwasser saturated vinegar per day. My tank currently goes through around 0.4dkh per day. It’s 28 gallon tank with roughly 20 gallons of water. I have roughly 50 different corals, mostly LPS with some SPS, a few softies, and a few kinds of anemones. I also dose aminos every 3 days.

Edit: in my experience, water changes are only enough if you only have a few corals or corals that aren’t really growing, you will eventually get to the point where you’ll need to dose (at least if you want to keep your parameters stable). Also, with water changes, you have diminishing returns, if your tank uses any Alk or cal whatsoever, the levels are going to slowly get lower and lower if you’re only doing water changes (ie if your salt mixes to 8dkh and your tank uses 0.8dkh a week, and you do 25% water changes weekly, after the 1st water change you’ll be at 7.4, the next week 6.95, 6.61 the next, and so on). Water changes only, only work for very lightly stocked tanks.

Last edited:

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are yours clam in? I've always been fascinated by them, but I think my tank is probably too small
I am currently keeping them in my 20g/40g system with a 20g sump. They are basically growing up as they will get lost in my 210g. Some of them are for my little 6g until they get too large. I have kept them in the past in a 29g for years.

My 210g has my larger clams.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently keeping them in my 20g/40g system with a 20g sump. They are basically growing up as they will get lost in my 210g. Some of them are for my little 6g until they get too large. I have kept them in the past in a 29g for years.

My 210g has my larger clams.
I've considered getting one for my 25 gallon, but seems like they need a substantial amount of light, right?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the clam. Crocea and Maxima lots, derasa less. The rest in the middle. Gotta go, but 25 will work if you provide the right light and the correct calcium/Mg levels for growth.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all has to do with your daily consumption. My 30g is dosed 2dkh alk 15ppm calcium DAILY. Water changes alone is not going to cut it by a long shot and would create way too much weekly swing.

MindoftheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m dosing 30 ML per day of each ESV component in my 20gallon acro/sps heavy mixed tank, It looks like I’m one of the big boy consumers

16DA6164-B72C-43EB-BCEB-4F5F6401398B.jpeg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 157 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back