How Much Can Lighting Spectrum Change the Actual Color of SPS?

gws3

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Ok, this was a rhetorical question. The answer is a lot. Check out these two chunks of pinky the bear I cut from a large colony that was shadowing other colonies. The colony is lit by a combo of Radion G4 Pro / Blue Plus T5 / Reefbrite XHO in my one display.

The top piece I cut a couple months ago and put in a tank lit only by Radion G5 Blues. The bottom piece I just cut last weekend. They were both cut from the same exact colony.

I was blown away by the difference. Figured I’d share.

1642038725746.png

OP
gws3

gws3

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Were the PAR and all water chemistry parameters identical in the two systems?

Oh, sorry I wasn't clear. It's the same system, two different tanks. PAR is around 400 on both, a little bit higher on the bottom piece.

Top Shelf Aquatics

jda

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
As you have found, it can matter a lot both in actual color rendering and also illumination.

Always found that more daylight made the best actual color in the coral. You gotta blue-them-up to look at 'em, though.

What is nuts is that some acros don't seem to mind different light and look near the same under many different types. This is why some will just never understand this since they have an acro or two where it doesn't matter and they assume that all act this way.

Then, you have arguments over which looks better - I am a contrast guy. I prefer the look of the piece on the bottom, but many others will disagree.

ceaver

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Ok, this was a rhetorical question. The answer is a lot. Check out these two chunks of pinky the bear I cut from a large colony that was shadowing other colonies. The colony is lit by a combo of Radion G4 Pro / Blue Plus T5 / Reefbrite XHO in my one display.

The top piece I cut a couple months ago and put in a tank lit only by Radion G5 Blues. The bottom piece I just cut last weekend. They were both cut from the same exact colony.

1642038725746.png
Super interesting! Are you able to say which of these two is more representative of how this piece "normally" looks?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
As you have found, it can matter a lot both in actual color rendering and also illumination.

Always found that more daylight made the best actual color in the coral. You gotta blue-them-up to look at 'em, though.

What is nuts is that some acros don't seem to mind different light and look near the same under many different types. This is why some will just never understand this since they have an acro or two where it doesn't matter and they assume that all act this way.

Then, you have arguments over which looks better - I am a contrast guy. I prefer the look of the piece on the bottom, but many others will disagree.
I agree prefer the bottom one but both are nice.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0

1642038725746.png
Very interesting - do you run the G5 Blue all channels at 100%?

AS

ClownSchool

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have an acan that was moved from one tank to another.
In the first tank, it was in shades of green like army camo. Within 24 hours in the second, it turned bright orange and blue.

Top Shelf Aquatics

What do you use?

• Gfo

Votes: 23 6.4%
  • Carbon

Votes: 133 36.9%
  • Carbon & GFO

Votes: 117 32.5%
  • Water changes

Votes: 245 68.1%
Neptune