How much space for Skimmer in sump?

duncangweller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I am going to pick up the baffles for my sump tomorrow so i can get started with building it.

My question is (as I dont yet have the skimmer) how much room around the skimmer will i need in my sump? the footprint of my planned skimmer is 12 x 8.5 x 22.3.

my tank is a 75 gallon with a 33 gallon sump measuring 36L x 18H x 12D.

thanks,

Duncan

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need very little room in the skimmer chamber. Just enough to be able to manipulate it and do maintenance.

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait until you have the skimmer to put it in there and get a feel for it. Especially with it needing 12" on one side and you have a 12" wide tank. It may fit perfectly but if you wont know for sure until you get the skimmer there.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would wait until you have the skimmer to put it in there and get a feel for it. Especially with it needing 12" on one side and you have a 12" wide tank. It may fit perfectly but if you wont know for sure until you get the skimmer there.

Yeah, I agree.
Also you need to make it big enough to be able to pull it out at a angle. Once it's in the sump and the sump is inside your stand, there are always reasons to have to pull it out. It is a bigger pain if you have to drain and pull the sump at the same time.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back