How much water is actually in my tank?

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting to dose my tank and have somewhat of a dumb question. The BRS calculators ask for your total water volume. Do you use the reported volume from your tank manufacturer? I assume that is empty and totally filled and without equipment rocks and sand. I didn’t calculate how much water I actually put in the tank when I filled it. The tank is a Red Sea Reefer 425. Should I just guess there’s about 90 gallons? Curious what you guys do

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, as I have a fairly good guess of the approxamite weight of the rock used for the aquascaping I subtract that from the weight of the water if there was no aquascaping. But it is just a guess.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting to dose my tank and have somewhat of a dumb question. The BRS calculators ask for your total water volume. Do you use the reported volume from your tank manufacturer? I assume that is empty and totally filled and without equipment rocks and sand. I didn’t calculate how much water I actually put in the tank when I filled it. The tank is a Red Sea Reefer 425. Should I just guess there’s about 90 gallons? Curious what you guys do
It's usually an estimate by subtracting how much water gets displaced by the rock and sand and subtract it from the total tank volume. But if a sump is attached then add that volume back in. It will take a while to tweak the correct dosage, so testing often during the initial dosing period will be beneficial.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I go with 85-90% of total volume to allow for rock and other items which reduce total volume.
Example - your tank I count as 82 gallons as I believe its 88g total
A 100g tank would be 90 gallons

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most tank manufacturers materially overstate the volume of their tanks because they use external dimensions rather than internal. So you’re off by 10% before you even begin to try to estimate displacement by rocks and sand. Fortunately it doesn’t really matter as dosing isn’t that precise anyhow.

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank. 112g with sump. I always dose using 100 as my total. Its just an estimate and keeps my #'s where I want them.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back