How often do you have people check your tank during vacation?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just curious. My mother-in-law checks my tank and ATO every two days. When relying on friends/family do you expect them to check it every day and do you offer compensation similar to house sitting for dogs? Reef tanks are harder to take care of.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I go out of town I have my parents check in on the tank and feed the fish. I tell them to only check every other day or so, but they still are usually at my house and do it daily because they help take care of my other pets, they claim the cat would get bored without someone to play with him (they’re obsessed with cats)

I don’t pay them to do it, but thats because they don’t need or want money from me. They have way more than I will ever have. It’s also not that inconvenient for them because I live beside them, and I help them out with things too. I’m the first person they call when something heavy needs moved.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When I go out of town I have my parents check in on the tank and feed the fish. I tell them to only check every other day or so, but they still are usually at my house and do it daily because they help take care of my other pets, they claim the cat would get bored without someone to play with him (they’re obsessed with cats)

I don’t pay them to do it, but thats because they don’t need or want money from me. They have way more than I will ever have. It’s also not that inconvenient for them because I live beside them, and I help them out with things too. I’m the first person they call when something heavy needs moved.
My cat gets bored too! My mother-in-law always feels bad not checking on her every day but she just hides under the bed when she's there anyway...

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I paid my babysitter last time we went away. Had her come everyday. Next time I'll train her a little better. :D
That's my fear. If I have my mother-in-law make any adjustments it could potentially make things worse.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad will stop by every few days, he usually keeps the dogs at his place or at my sisters place when Im traveling for work. Upside he has a saltwater tank himself so he has a clue about whats going on. Shorter trips I have a friend that will watch the dogs and stop in if needed. Long as it all goes like it should, the fish will do ok for up to 14 days (ATO water will only last that long.). I also cut back feeding when im not around, dry food on a auto feeder 2x a day.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Wyze cams at 35 bucks a pop, I tend to do the majority of checking on my tank while I'm on vacation.

But as far as feeding, I'm fortunate to have pretty good neighbors. I do as many little favors as I possibly can throughout the year for them so they're indebted that once or twice I'm gone.

I also leave EXTREMELY simple instructions that never involve anybody "intervening" or putting hands in the tank.

And I remove as many fail points as possible: take the collection cup off the skimmer, pull out filter floss/socks.

I also like to do a decent water change beforehand. And if you're making any changes, do them a week BEFORE your trip.

Oh yeah, and if you dose anything manually, it's probably ok to take the week off or whatever instead of teaching someone how to dose things. I also like to stop the dosing a week before the trip to see if there's any changes or reaction.

And of course, get a phone number of someone you can trust for code red situations and tape it up near the tank, write it on the tank, etc.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize now that I blurted out a bunch of vacation tips but didn't really reply to your actual questions.

I think every two days is great for checking / feeding, especially if they have to drive to your house to do so. For me with my work-from-home neighbors, checking every day is pretty reasonable.

For compensation, I like to do it. But it's so dependent on expectations and relationships. And especially when it comes to family members. So different from family to family. With my circle, it would be a little awkward to offer cash so there tends to be a rotation of gift cards, wine, liquor, etc. For bigger trips or house sitters, it's definitely compensation time.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious. My mother-in-law checks my tank and ATO every two days. When relying on friends/family do you expect them to check it every day and do you offer compensation similar to house sitting for dogs? Reef tanks are harder to take care of.
I have a service company check every 2 weeks, but they do get an email with tank params once a week.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im good for a week with my current setup. I dont want people messing with the tank if I can avoid it.
This is me too. If I'm going to be out more than a week, I'll have someone check the top off reservoir and feed the fish. I have learned that I'd rather not have anyone messing with the tank if it can be avoided.

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is me too. If I'm going to be out more than a week, I'll have someone check the top off reservoir and feed the fish. I have learned that I'd rather not have anyone messing with the tank if it can be avoided.
I have the auto feeder going ATO is good for a week at a time and the sock will last about 5 days without spilling over. Two days of spilling over isnt too bad. Im also looking into filter rollers for this year.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My dad will stop by every few days, he usually keeps the dogs at his place or at my sisters place when Im traveling for work. Upside he has a saltwater tank himself so he has a clue about whats going on. Shorter trips I have a friend that will watch the dogs and stop in if needed. Long as it all goes like it should, the fish will do ok for up to 14 days (ATO water will only last that long.). I also cut back feeding when im not around, dry food on a auto feeder 2x a day.
Very similar situation. Auto feeders and ATO are life savers. I don't dose on a regular basis so chemicals/additives aren't really a big issue.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
With Wyze cams at 35 bucks a pop, I tend to do the majority of checking on my tank while I'm on vacation.

But as far as feeding, I'm fortunate to have pretty good neighbors. I do as many little favors as I possibly can throughout the year for them so they're indebted that once or twice I'm gone.

I also leave EXTREMELY simple instructions that never involve anybody "intervening" or putting hands in the tank.

And I remove as many fail points as possible: take the collection cup off the skimmer, pull out filter floss/socks.

I also like to do a decent water change beforehand. And if you're making any changes, do them a week BEFORE your trip.

Oh yeah, and if you dose anything manually, it's probably ok to take the week off or whatever instead of teaching someone how to dose things. I also like to stop the dosing a week before the trip to see if there's any changes or reaction.

And of course, get a phone number of someone you can trust for code red situations and tape it up near the tank, write it on the tank, etc.
The code red number is what I need. We have such a large reefing community in Phoenix but I don't have any people in my circle. I've been trying to get more of my friends involved.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a great pet-sitter who works at my vet stop by daily for my cat. I was thrilled when she noticed all my plants and mentioned she loves plants and can water if I leave her a note which ones need. She hasn’t been here since I got the tank but I was hoping to get her to feed the fish and check ATO box as well and just pay her a little extra.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned the very hard way to aliquot EVERYTHING that a tank sitter adds to the tank. I have tubes labeled for each day, with the date on them. I have them organized in a tube rack in rows for each day. No thinking about anything, just dump the tube that says Wednesday into the tank on Wednesday.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 42 22.8%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 106 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%

Back