How often do you have people check your tank during vacation?

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I split my time between two countries, but I only have aquariums in one, so:

- Live cams on everything (visible to me and my personal assistants)
- Hydros computer with sensors on everything (even redundant sensors)
- Mastertronic and Alkatronic
- A Well-trained housekeeper that comes every other day (feeding, routine maintenance, dosing container top off, frozen foods, Takes videos, replaced carbon, washes socks, etc)
- Well trained main personal assistant that I’ve taught water chemistry, who also monitors the Hydros and Focustronic apps when I’m asleep, and my other assistants know the basics
- Expert LFS staff on call and that perform weekly maintenance / equipment checks / take care of more advanced problems
- Multiple power failure redundancies

I’m protective of the aquariums :D

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to get someone in the house every other day at least. Also have a cat so he needs to be fed and watered.

Going out of country for about 9 days next month and stressing a bit about it already. Still planning for every other day and I'm sure I'll check my controller once a day too (gonna try not to check it more often!). I should probably get a camera... seems like it would give more peace of mind.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to get someone in the house every other day at least. Also have a cat so he needs to be fed and watered.

Going out of country for about 9 days next month and stressing a bit about it already. Still planning for every other day and I'm sure I'll check my controller once a day too (gonna try not to check it more often!). I should probably get a camera... seems like it would give more peace of mind.
The camera is sooooo clutch. Now that I connected one that looks at my tank, there's no turning back. It's nice to check your controller while you're away but checking a camera and seeing fish swimming instead is more of a "complete"relief. At 35 bucks a pop, you can't beat it. I added one in my cabinet pointing at my sump before my trip last month

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The camera is sooooo clutch. Now that I connected one that looks at my tank, there's no turning back. It's nice to check your controller while you're away but checking a camera and seeing fish swimming instead is more of a "complete"relief. At 35 bucks a pop, you can't beat it. I added one in my cabinet pointing at my sump before my trip last month
Send me a link and I'll order one today! :0)

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send me a link and I'll order one today! :0)
Wyze Cam v3 with Color Night Vision, Wired 1080p HD Indoor/Outdoor Video Camera, 2-Way Audio, Works with Alexa, Google Assistant, and IFTTT

Amazon product

They sell these at Home Depot now too, which sends the convenience factor off the charts

If I were buying one right now, I'd probably get the pan/tilt/zoom model for 5 bucks more:

Wyze Cam Pan v2 1080p Pan/Tilt/Zoom Wi-Fi Indoor Smart Home Camera with Color Night Vision, 2-Way Audio, Compatible with Alexa & The Google Assistant, White

Amazon product

In fact maybe I'll get one right now

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to leave my tank for two months. first month I had someone checking up on it. second month I had that person to hook up a brute can as my ato reservoir since he had to travel too. this is all a big recipe to disaster many things could've gone wrong. had a camera to check up on it everyone in a while. no losses just a massive dino outbreak (since I left the tank at its early stages)

Willhersh34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still doing manual top off (I know, get an ATO) so I pre-makeup RODI in gallon jugs then pay the neighbor kid to come over to do top off and feed. Since I only go on vacation once every few months I can justify the $50 I pay without changing anything from a feeding/top-off standpoint.

Works good so far but I'm sure will get old and I will invest in an ATO and autofeeder at some point.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The system can run well without any intervention for a couple weeks and I check on it myself daily while away, but I have a reefing friend on standby in case anything comes up.

I go through a check of the system before I am away and I try not change anything in the week preceding vacation. I run an automatic water change so I make sure I have a full batch of salt water, I clean the ATO optical sensor, top off food in the feeder, top off dosing containers, check the trident reagent levels, and clean the skimmer.

I monitor the system frequently with the apex
I use the Red Sea doser, can manually dose remotely if needed
ATO
Can use a DOS to add salt water or fresh water remotely
Auto feeder
Camera on sump and camera on display
Power back up

210 Reef Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Wyze cams at 35 bucks a pop, I tend to do the majority of checking on my tank while I'm on vacation.

But as far as feeding, I'm fortunate to have pretty good neighbors. I do as many little favors as I possibly can throughout the year for them so they're indebted that once or twice I'm gone.

I also leave EXTREMELY simple instructions that never involve anybody "intervening" or putting hands in the tank.

And I remove as many fail points as possible: take the collection cup off the skimmer, pull out filter floss/socks.

I also like to do a decent water change beforehand. And if you're making any changes, do them a week BEFORE your trip.

Oh yeah, and if you dose anything manually, it's probably ok to take the week off or whatever instead of teaching someone how to dose things. I also like to stop the dosing a week before the trip to see if there's any changes or reaction.

And of course, get a phone number of someone you can trust for code red situations and tape it up near the tank, write it on the tank, etc.
Great plan. Thank you

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone looking after your tank deserves at minimum... a $60 gift card to their favorite restaurant. Even if they say it was no problem

210 Reef Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The system can run well without any intervention for a couple weeks and I check on it myself daily while away, but I have a reefing friend on standby in case anything comes up.

I go through a check of the system before I am away and I try not change anything in the week preceding vacation. I run an automatic water change so I make sure I have a full batch of salt water, I clean the ATO optical sensor, top off food in the feeder, top off dosing containers, check the trident reagent levels, and clean the skimmer.

I monitor the system frequently with the apex
I use the Red Sea doser, can manually dose remotely if needed
ATO
Can use a DOS to add salt water or fresh water remotely
Auto feeder
Camera on sump and camera on display
Power back up
Another great plan. I do most of what you are doing except the remote salt water supplement or water change. I just hooked everything up and will need alittle help with writing code to setup properly with Apex. My Apex system has gotten quit complicated with alot of overlaping programs so I use an outside source to help me get it right.
Thank You again

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wyze Cam v3 with Color Night Vision, Wired 1080p HD Indoor/Outdoor Video Camera, 2-Way Audio, Works with Alexa, Google Assistant, and IFTTT

Amazon product

They sell these at Home Depot now too, which sends the convenience factor off the charts

If I were buying one right now, I'd probably get the pan/tilt/zoom model for 5 bucks more:

Wyze Cam Pan v2 1080p Pan/Tilt/Zoom Wi-Fi Indoor Smart Home Camera with Color Night Vision, 2-Way Audio, Compatible with Alexa & The Google Assistant, White

Amazon product

In fact maybe I'll get one right now

Awesome, thanks!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back