How to avoid burning corals when changing halide / T5 bulbs

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running a Giesemann spectra with three 250 W Radium Halide bulbs and four T5 bulbs. The system is approaching a year old and it's time to change the bulbs. Should I avoid changing all the bulbs at once? Do I need to adjust the height of the fixture for any period of time?

I was thinking about changing the T5s over Thanksgiving and the Halides around Christmas to avoid changing all the bulbs at once. I was also considering if I should raise the fixture for a period of time to avoid burning the corals. Interested to know what people recommend?

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Staggering the bulbs probably isn't a bad idea.
Thanks. My goal is to avoid any bleaching. I'm running the halides for 5.5 hours / day and the T5s for 10 hours / day. It would be easier to change everything at once, but I'm concerned it might be too much.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your options are:
1. stagger bulb replacement
2. increase height of fixture
3. lower photoperiod

I do the first one now (no mh any more) but in the past I’ve done a combination of 2 and 3. For me, it depends on how easy each option is. Also, I don’t worry too much about the T5’s but mh need a little more though IME.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No height adj needed. I stagger the bulb changes. Replace one and wait 2 weeks and continue the same with each bulb replacement. BTW bulbs don't go bad in 12 months. BRS did a test on the par. It starts to decline around 18 months

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s easy for you to raise the light I would change all the bulbs at once raise the light 2-4 inches then lower it down in again 2-3 weeks
The fixture has cable grips, and it's easy to raise. I'll need to raise it a bit to change the bulbs. I could just leave there for a couple weeks before lowering back.

96742B9F-8E16-40AC-A3B8-5742BC988B94_1_105_c.jpeg

I think your options are:
1. stagger bulb replacement
2. increase height of fixture
3. lower photoperiod

I do the first one now (no mh any more) but in the past I’ve done a combination of 2 and 3. For me, it depends on how easy each option is. Also, I don’t worry too much about the T5’s but mh need a little more though IME.

Thanks, this is my first bulb change and last time there was not tank underneath. I don't think it will be difficult, but it may take a little time. I'll need to do 2 to change the bulbs and 3 is easy to do. That will be my easiest option.

I don't have prior experience with halides on prior tanks, so I appreciate the experience.

No height adj needed. I stagger the bulb changes. Replace one and wait 2 weeks and continue the same with each bulb replacement. BTW bulbs don't go bad in 12 months. BRS did a test on the par. It starts to decline around 18 months

Thanks, I'll check out the BRS video. Part of my thinking with the halides was if I change them before they go bad, I'll be less likely to cause any bleaching. I don't want to shave off too much time either as the bulbs aren't cheap.

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just do it and have never had any issues. I never did T5s at the same time as the Halides.
Thanks, how often do you change your halides? Any problems with bleaching.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every year if I use them all of the time - I run them for 9-10 hours a day. I have gone up to 2 years before on the 14k Phoenix, but not usually. No issues with anything.

If you are running your so low of hours, then change them less.

I always turned the T5s/VHOs off when the halides came on. Just not necessary to waste the bulb time nor the electricity when the halides need no supplement.

Back