How to best emulate this beautiful tidepool lighting in an aquarium? Can it be done?

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you need is a couple 1000 watters. And a big chiller.

tvenVmN.png
Whoa! That is a big bulb! I had actually thought about a couple of 1000 watt 10K's in two of those really nice highly polished big reflectors. But, that would likely be overkill. I think scattering some 250 watt fixtures over the tank would be better.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But spectrum is not equal between the 2.. the differences shouldn't be ignored, imo
Except the person I originally quoted thinks the photons are legit different even if it was the same exact spectrum. He thinks they’re “lasers” and not the same “quality” of light.

BTW, the UVb and IR have no empirical evidence whether they benefit or don’t benefit (either way) health.

All the OP cares about is the color temperature and shimmer to replicate the aesthetics of that shallow reef.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just RGB leds..
There are numerous "off the rack" led fixtures out there.

lasseergb2.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank will be 16" tall. So, not a lot of water depth to penetrate. I was hoping to mount the lights 24" to 30" above the tank though so as not to inhibit top down viewing.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank will be 16" tall. So, not a lot of water depth to penetrate. I was hoping to mount the lights 24" to 30" above the tank though so as not to inhibit top down viewing.
Is the basement cool? Halides heat my garage nicely in the winter but I have to run a chiller in the warmer months.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current tank was lit by 4 Kessil A360We's combined with 2 T5 ATI blue plus and 2 Quanta Mesa blue/violet LED bars. The anemones, my SPS frags, and other corals thrived under them. I enjoyed the tank at 100% Color and 100% intensity.
2 months ago, I sold the Kessils (they were getting old) and installed 2 250 watt DE 14K metal halides combined with the Quanta Mesa blue/violet LED bars. I didn't have room for the T5s.
Here are some videos under both lights. After comparing the videos, to my eye, the tank under the Kessils looks more like the YouTube tide pool video I posted above.
Tank under Kessils at full spectrum:

Tank under the 250 watt 14K halides:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you already had your mind set on Kessils.
Got for it and be happy.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except the person I originally quoted thinks the photons are legit different even if it was the same exact spectrum. He thinks they’re “lasers” and not the same “quality” of light.

BTW, the UVb and IR have no empirical evidence whether they benefit or don’t benefit (either way) health.

All the OP cares about is the color temperature and shimmer to replicate the aesthetics of that shallow reef.
Again, almost... "fair enough".
None of is truly know the relevance of every variable involved with our tanks. Simulating nature seems to be the easy handle to grab on to. And in that regard, there's no comparison.
As far as "lasers"..., comparatively speaking, they are. An exaggeration, sure, but not inaccurate

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you already had your mind set on Kessils.
Got for it and be happy.
Uh, no, nothing set in stone. I had the Kessils, enjoyed them, but also like the halides. I'm also researching Reefi Uno 2.0 pros, Giesseman fixtures, Kessil W500N commercial fixtures, and open to other options as well.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to try some 10K bulbs. Maybe the 14K have a bit too much blue?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh, no, nothing set in stone. I had the Kessils, enjoyed them, but also like the halides. I'm also researching Reefi Uno 2.0 pros, Giesseman fixtures, Kessil W500N commercial fixtures, and open to other options as well.
If aesthetics is what you looking for you can just compare them and get what you like.

If the actual qualities of light is what matters for the results you should stick with metal halides. Get the Spectras with 10K lamps and ATI Blue Plus bulbs to achieve closer visual comparison to the tide pool. You won't regret a bit!
For a 16" high system you will need 175W or max 250W lamps. You could use 175W for a longer photoperiod, for example. If you want sps I would go with 250W lamps. I use 250s over my 75gallon and I like them the best.
10K with the ATI Blue Plus!
Keep the fixtures close to the system at 12" from water surface.

Last edited:

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my next tank upgrade (shallow tide pool scheme), I want to come as close as possible to the natural lighting as seen in this video.
Of course, metal halides are the first to come to mind. Go with 6500K or 10,000K? 250/400/1000 watt bulbs? How many reflectors to cover 78" x 78" foot print?
Kessil lights also come to mind and with enough fixtures tuned full spectrum, maybe they could come close.

Kessil a360 tuna sun. I'm not here for the debate I skipped all that and answered the question. Sorry if this was already said.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If aesthetics is what you looking for you can just compare them and get what you like.

If the actual qualities of light is what matters for the results you should stick with metal halides. Get the Spectras with 10K lamps and ATI Blue Plus bulbs to achieve closer visual comparison to the tide pool. You won't regret a bit!
For a 16" high system you will need 175W or max 250W lamps. You could use 175W for a longer photoperiod, for example. If you want sps I would go with 250W lamps. I use 250s over my 75gallon and I like them the best.
10K with the ATI Blue Plus!
Keep the fixtures close to te system at 12" from water surface.
Thank you! I do agree that these would look great. I had 250 watt 10K and T5 actinics many years ago and remember loving that look!
I was hoping to be able to mount the lights higher than 12" though. I would like to be able to look over the entire width/length of the tank's surface, top down viewing, without any lighting fixtures being in the way.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil a360 tuna sun. I'm not here for the debate I skipped all that and answered the question. Sorry if this was already said.
Thank you for the suggestion and for skipping the debate! Oreo has mentioned that a 6500K freshwater bulb/LED fixture would provide the look as well.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current tank was lit by 4 Kessil A360We's combined with 2 T5 ATI blue plus and 2 Quanta Mesa blue/violet LED bars. The anemones, my SPS frags, and other corals thrived under them. I enjoyed the tank at 100% Color and 100% intensity.
2 months ago, I sold the Kessils (they were getting old) and installed 2 250 watt DE 14K metal halides combined with the Quanta Mesa blue/violet LED bars. I didn't have room for the T5s.
Here are some videos under both lights. After comparing the videos, to my eye, the tank under the Kessils looks more like the YouTube tide pool video I posted above.
Tank under Kessils at full spectrum:

Tank under the 250 watt 14K halides:

At 78" x 78" x 16" that is going to be an awful lot of LED fixtures.
420-ish gallons.
What are your other needs and wants?

Some of the old mh reflectors covered 36x36 so you would only need like 4 of them if you can find them.
I still think you should look more to fw leds though.
You will probably get more power out at the "color" you like.

Kessils are a bit of an exception w/ the "logic" thingy..
Tuna suns go from 6000k-9000k but I don't even particularly like them for even fw aquariums.
more of a long personal story but always felt their "dabbling" in fw was more of an afterthought than anything.

An older response from Kessil regarding the tuna blue
“In regards to the color, the tuna blue ranges from 20,000 k to 10,000 k. The lower the color %, the bluer the light and higher color % is the white spectrum. 14,000 k is around 60-70%. Please let us know if you have questions. ”

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%

Back