how to hatch emerald crab eggs

liaminthetank1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my emerald crab died but when i took it out of the tank i noticed they had eggs. i want to know how to care for and hatch these eggs so i can continue this crabs legacy. i need info STAT

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think it can be done.

The eggs could be isolated in a very light flow area (the crab 'fans' them in the water not sure how you could replicate this.), but the main concern is when they hatch they go through a free floating larval stage which is near impossible to keep. Not only is it difficult to feed them (you'd need phyto, marine snow, green water, something similar to those) but its difficult to keep the tank filtered without killing them.

There's also a likely possibility they'll eat each other during that free floating stage too but that's pure assumption.

Its why we don't have any bred crabs in the hobby, shrimp we can get a formula that works and even then you need another setup dedicated to raising them for a couple months before they become like 'normal' shrimp, crabs are just equally more painful and likely more aggressive to each other.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for not responding to this earlier OP!

Actually in this case it can be done (though getting the flow just right with a bubbler in a larval rearing tank or in an egg tumbler can reportedly be pretty difficult). Rearing the crabs themselves is actually relatively easy (see the link in the quote below):
Too bad i havent seen your post yesterday.

Put an airline without air stone inside the bucket and feed them with bbs freshly hatched every day. No macro algae. No subatrate. No live rock. If you have any, you can put live phytoplankton inside. Overall the breeding process for emerald crabs is very similar to breeding any other shrimp or crab.
Take a look into my guide for breeding p. elegans shrimps. The process is very similar.
Guide
The brine shrimp were a good idea, and Tavero’s advice is solid - fed live Baby Brine Shrimp (Artemia nauplii), under proper conditions, Mithraculus sculptus (the emerald crab) should have about a 20% survival rate to settlement. Enriched BBS can raise the survival rate to about 25%.
You can make a DIY BBS hatchery pretty easily, but I don’t know if you’d be able to produce enough/fast enough for this batch of larvae

Cool stuff!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back