How to install reef-pi

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, one thing I don't like about them is they require you to sign in using another account like Google. Someone mentioned using Teamviewer instead of a VPN, I personally like this idea as it's very easy and should be safe?
Yeah I get it but that is one of the reasons that make it pretty secure they are using identity providers and they are just the middle man - https://tailscale.com/kb/1013/sso-providers/

Looks like you can use github as a IDP, not sure if Ping or the others have a free option. It's really a much better solution for remote access unless you are going to roll your on vpn solution.

OP
OP
robsworld78

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I get it but that is one of the reasons that make it pretty secure they are using identity providers and they are just the middle man - https://tailscale.com/kb/1013/sso-providers/

Looks like you can use github as a IDP, not sure if Ping or the others have a free option. It's really a much better solution for remote access unless you are going to roll your on vpn solution.
Oh ok, then that's a good thing. :) So you're not a fan of Teamviewer or the like? If not why?

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok, then that's a good thing. :) So you're not a fan of Teamviewer or the like? If not why?
Yeah not a fan of teamviewer, to many things you have to do in order to properly secure it...is it fine for accessing reef-pi instance, probably. Would I use it for remote access to my desktop, nope.

Tailscale is just a better way of doing things and imho more secure. Like I said is it an issue for remote accessing your reef-pi instance, probably not but I'd rather not have anyone poking around my stuff remotely, lol.

Broady2067

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to all this. I set up tightvncserver on Raspberry Pi and the viewer on my PC. When i ran vncserver :1 on the pi it asks for a password. The issue is it will not allow you to enter anything. What am i missing?

Adahm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For remote access to web gui, get a domain name and use cloudflare tunnel. The easiest and cleanest https setup I have come across.

Broady2067

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to all this. I set up tightvncserver on Raspberry Pi and the viewer on my PC. When i ran vncserver :1 on the pi it asks for a password. The issue is it will not allow you to enter anything. What am i missing?
Update i went through all the steps and it faild right at the end so i switched to Real VNC no issues now.

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed: the PI Zero 2 processor is 64Bit capable. I wonder how much use would one get out of that 64Bit OS in a ReefPi System ?

ReefPi itself would not care much, I guess. Might only be useful for more RAM hungry applications.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed: the PI Zero 2 processor is 64Bit capable. I wonder how much use would one get out of that 64Bit OS in a ReefPi System ?

ReefPi itself would not care much, I guess. Might only be useful for more RAM hungry applications.
pretty sure last few installs I have been using the 64bit OS, seems to run just fine YMMV...

Screenshot at 2023-10-21 09-19-04.png

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aarch64 (ARM v8+) is a massive step up from the ARMv5 core on the original Zero, no contest. The Zero was a unique problem as most Linux builds or compilers assumed you had at least an ARMv6, even ReefPi had to do builds specially for the Zero.

Its not about the physical memory space, the virtual memory space is basically needed to make the Go runtime happy amongst other things.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back