How to install the Random Flow Generator - Support Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Random Flow Generator™ Nozzle is the only random flow generator device with now moving parts. The function the RFG provides is created by it’s unique internal structure that leverages fluid dynamics to randomly re-direct the water as it exits the nozzle.

As such, it’s import that it’s installed properly to ensure the best possible results.

At first glance, one might think you would just pop it on to the end of the Loc-Line® and it would just work, and in many instances, this is the case. However, there are few tips that can both help you achieve a better randomized effect and help to minimize air being drawn in through the educators.

RFG-Installation-Guidlines-1.jpg

Single 1/2in RFG (RFG050 )
  • Minimum GPH: 120-150
  • Optimal Suggested GPH: 300-450

Two 1/2in RFGs (RFG050)
  • Minimum GPH: 250-400
  • Optimal Suggested GPH: 640-670

Single 3/4in RFG (RFG075)
  • Minimum GPH: 180-200
  • Optimal Suggested GPH:420-500

Two 3/4in RFGs (RFG075)
  • Minimum GPH: 400-500
  • Optimal Suggested GPH: 700-800

Single 1in RFG (RFG100)
  • Minimum GPH: 320-400
  • Optimal Suggested GPH: 720-1000

Single 1in RFGS (RFGS100LL)
  • Minimum GPH: 300-350
  • Optimal Suggested GPH: 500-1000

Last edited:

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant wait to get feedback from someone who has used these for a period of time to see about longevity,etc. . I have 4 x 1/2 inch loc-line for returns on my setup - it would help the tank flow if I could some how randomize the flow better.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought two. Used them for a bit. Just found they slowed my return flow too much.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought two. Used them for a bit. Just found they slowed my return flow too much.

To be sure, the RFGs, like any educator nozzle, will create some back pressure. All our flow ratings for each nozzle listed above are to the nozzle, and measured without a nozzle in place. Once you place the nozzle on, it will reduce throughput to some extent. The amount will be directly related to the amount of GPH the nozzle is being fed.

For instance - the 3/4in RFG at around 350-400 GPH will product less then 10% head pressure. While that same nozzle at 700-800 GPH will produce more then 20%.

Each nozzle has a "Suggested Optimal GPH" rating. If you stay within those rating you should expect to see no more than 15-20%

What's interesting though, is if you don't mind a little extra head pressure, you you can crank up the return pump and you are rewarded with some awesome, punchy, randomized flow.

Here's an time-sequence that shows the nozzle randomizing the flow in one of our 30-gallon demo tanks.

RFG075_Flow_Sequence_0118-2_1200.jpg

Last edited:

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be sure, the RFGs, like any educator nozzle, will create some back pressure. All our flow ratings for each nozzle listed above are to the nozzle, and measured without a nozzle in place. Once oyu place the nozzle on, it will reduce throughput to some extent. The amount will be directly related to the amount of GPH the nozzle is being fed.

For instance - the 3/4in RFG at around 350-400 GPH will product less then 10% head pressure. While that same nozzle at 700-800 GPH will produce more then 20%.

Each nozzle has a "Suggested Optimal GPH" rating. If you stay within those rating you should expect to see no more than 15-20%

What's interesting though, is if you don't mind a little extra head pressure, you you can crank up the return pump and you are rewarded with some awesome, punchy, randomized flow.

Here's an time-sequence that shows the nozzle randomizing the flow in one of our 30-gallon demo tanks.

RFG075_Flow_Sequence_0118-2_1200.jpg
To each their own. I liked them! Just decided I wanted more water going through my sump. That's all. I have plenty of flow in my display. Actually 2 mp 40's set up through a profilux. I get to set my own random flow. But yeah, way more expensive!

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually for my setup the higher head pressure may work perfect as I am running a Reeflo hammerhead pump from my basement and have to throttle it down a bit for the overflow to stay quiet. Estimate about 4000gal/hour in the 1.5 inch main return -> splits into 2 x 1 inch pvc to each back corner -> spits again into 4 x loc-line sprayers and two of those gets spit again for a total of 6 outlets, some with educators and some with flairs into a 150 gallon 5 foot long tank. I don't know the exact amount of water coming out of each loc-line sprayers - but the very last 2 outlets/sprayers do not have much flow going thru them and used near or at the top of the water line for a siphon break and to cause some surface agitation. So I would think my other four outlets , 2 have educators that spray from the mid level height back corners to behind the rock work to prevent detritus from accumulating and the other two that have flair sprayers aimed at the middle of the tank - those would be good candidates for these new random sprayers. Food for thought.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually for my setup the higher head pressure may work perfect as I am running a Reeflo hammerhead pump from my basement and have to throttle it down a bit for the overflow to stay quiet. Estimate about 4000gal/hour in the 1.5 inch main return -> splits into 2 x 1 inch pvc to each back corner -> spits again into 4 x loc-line sprayers and two of those gets spit again for a total of 6 outlets, some with educators and some with flairs into a 150 gallon 5 foot long tank. I don't know the exact amount of water coming out of each loc-line sprayers - but the very last 2 outlets/sprayers do not have much flow going thru them and used near or at the top of the water line for a siphon break and to cause some surface agitation. So I would think my other four outlets , 2 have educators that spray from the mid level height back corners to behind the rock work to prevent detritus from accumulating and the other two that have flair sprayers aimed at the middle of the tank - those would be good candidates for these new random sprayers. Food for thought.
Interesting sounding setup, and with the high flow your pump is capable of, the RFG would be a great option.

In general, we suggest fewer right-sized RFGs at higher flow each, as opposed to more RFGs at lower flow each. In your case, you might find that 4 of our 3/4in RFGs might perform better and create a more pronounced randomized flow than say, 6, 1/2in RFGs,

Another option that could work really good might be just two, properly placed, 1in RFG (PVC slip fitting version), or two, RFGS (with 1in modular hose fittings) nozzles. Depending on your placement and your rockwork, they might be able to flow your entire tank at the GPH you can provide.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here is my setup - I think the loc-line I am using is 3/4 inch. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/acer-new-150-build.260497/page-11

OK - given the GPH you estimate to the tank, you could go with 4, 3/4in RFGs - 2 on each side.
OR - if you don't mind a little extra head pressure, i would love to see just 2, 1in RFS100LL nozzles - positioned in the two opposite corners at around 1,000 - 1,500 GPH to each nozzle. You might even be able to pull off 4 1in RFGS100LL nozzles if you really have close to 4,000 GPH making it to the display tank. You'll need a 1in to 1in modular hose Y splitter to go along with the 1in modular hose though - fortunate we make one :)

With fewer RFGs, at higher GPH, they create a more pronounce randomized effect.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant wait to get feedback from someone who has used these for a period of time to see about longevity,etc. . I have 4 x 1/2 inch loc-line for returns on my setup - it would help the tank flow if I could some how randomize the flow better.

I have one on each of my 2 tanks and they work great. A vast improvement over standard returns and create a small amount of turbulence between vortechs.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait so if I’m getting 600 GPH with the RFG s on it’s more then your recommended flow? Because the recommended flow is with the nozzles off?
And when u say 2 3/4 RFGs you are talking about with one return pump not two return pumps?

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait so if I’m getting 600 GPH with the RFG s on it’s more then your recommended flow? Because the recommended flow is with the nozzles off?

Yes - our Recommended fFow ratings are without the nozzle. We actuality call them "Optimal Suggested GPH" since they are just that - a "suggested" flow rate. The RFGs will actually handle way more then our Suggested GPH rates.

We provide the suggested GPH because of the way the RFG works. The interaction inside the nozzle will create some back pressure. The percentage of back pressure to throughput rises as you increase flow to the nozzle. At our "Suggested Optional GPH" you'll get what we feel is a good balance between head pressure and randomized flow.

However - go beyond the, Optimal Suggested GPH, you will start to incur more back pressure, BUT you also get a more punchy, randomize flow - the more flow the bigger the randomized effect. Here's a good example - this 3/4in RFG is being run at about 600-700 GPH, which is about 100-200 GPH over the Optimal suggested rate, and it's flowing the entire tank, and within a few seconds, started lifting all the detritus.

And when u say 2 3/4 RFGs you are talking about with one return pump not two return pumps?
As far as the flow ratings go, they refer to 2 RFGs on a single return line. If you run each Nozzle on its own pump, then you would want to use the "Single Nozzle" flow ratings.

hope that all makes sense.

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will fit in the back of the IM lagoon 25? I bought one of the rfg and the sicce 1.0 im running doesn’t have the juice, will need to measure back
Yep - it should. I have not personal fit it in the back of a Lagoon 25, but we have had a number of customers report that it fits just fine

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back