How to keep wrasse off the floor

Carlon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is a sad day for me. I went to the basement to feed my QT to find my X-mas wrasse dried up on the floor. Apparently ich is nothing compared to jumping ability. Egg crate did not stop my little buddy. I have been using egg crate on the DT and was planning on going with the BRS netting. Will this be enough to keep a wrasse in the tank.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry you lost him :(

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the screen top will keep fish in.
I lost the coolest 6 line wrasse after he jumped. Almost lost a fire tail blenny but was luckily standing at the tank when he jumped. No losses on my tank with the screen top. Parts are cheap on Amazon. Easy to assemble If you don't need any cut outs for equipment.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with netting, or some sort of tight fitting lid. I too, am sorry for your loss.

Wrasse love to become potato chip-like additions behind the tank, so you need to cover the tanks. Anything too hard can cause spinal damage if a spooked wrasse jumps and hits the top too hard-- common particularly in larger fairy wrasse. The netting is a bit more gentle.

OP
OP
C

Carlon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks peeps for the advice. I am going to get the BRS netting then a new wrasse or two. Any suggestions on a good pairing?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/4" mesh is sufficient, but you cannot leave any gaps. Any opening is just a matter of time.

If the head fits, the fish fits.

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone post a link to the frame that should be used with the netting

LittleMaui

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 3 suicides I spent the money on a lid from Artfully Acrylic. Wasn't happy with shipping material but product is great. Very professional look.

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone post a link to the frame that should be used with the netting
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BD6EL...t=&hvlocphy=9021545&hvtargid=pla-315316099378

You can probably find at Home Depot, lowes, menards too...
That's what I did. Mine is on top of an acrylic tank which has euro frame so the opening is only about 30x8" (65 g) on top of the tank. So it's sits nicely on top.

Unfortunately is I'm trying to figure out how to keep a zebra dartfish from going through the overflow slots. Usually he stay in the overflow area until I pull out the standpipe and then he ends up in the filter sock, but last week I had to pull all equipment out of the sump to net him. Have a pair but looks like one is very easily spooked.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By far, Artfully Acrylic makes the best tops. There are no gaps in their tops. They are custom made for your tanks dimensions. I have one on my tank and nothing gets past it and I have a tank full of jumpers:eek: As @evolved stated, the smallest of cracks will get you;)

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my screen top and the frame is from Home Depot.

IMG_5263.JPG

IMG_5262.JPG

Vu337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a bells, laboutei,hooded, flame within 2 months from jumping out, really thinking of going another route on fish selection

OP
OP
C

Carlon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a bells, laboutei,hooded, flame within 2 months from jumping out, really thinking of going another route on fish selection
What size is your netting? I was thinking the same but I think I am just going to purchase larger wrasse and hope for the best.

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the size but I did buy it from a good supplier and I would rate it as an excellent purchase. Do the screen!! Easy and effective and you know its not a matter of "if" a fish will jump but when.

Jgeebs413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the diy 4 foot screen frame from home depot for $12, extra set of corners for $3 and about 6 million feet of netting off Amazon for about $10. Worked out great. Also using pipette fits right in the holes don't need to remove to feed.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back