How to kill overgrown zoas

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I found one and the palys he is doing definitely have palytoxin, by the way. It will be sucked out with the water:

This is my video, thanks for the plug. Worked pretty well. Had some grow back but was manageable. Noticed no significant stress in the other occupants of the tank with this method.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gaudy Clown Crab eats them, usually pretty chill and will take frozen food, there’s always a risk of coral attacks though

Good luck finding one. Rarer than a leprechauns pot of gold these days. I've been looking this whole year and only had one come across reef cleaners and missed it.

Manual removal - will release, or can release, the toxins so please be careful. Eye glass cover, gloves, vented window, etc. You can split them and give away, sell back to LFS, etc.

Can also place some rubble around them using temporary glue. They will spread over it and you can just peel it off when ready and again toss, give away, sell back, etc. Still wear PPE when doing this.

Kaulk paste will work similar to how one kills Aiptasia. Please note that you have to do this in small settings as your ph may rise.

You can add some other predators (fish) that are known to eat them but they will be picking them all so probably not an ideal choice. Just like the Gaudy clown crab. Not a good choice because they will pick the area and consume...

I think going through my thoughts I'd work on small manual removal using kaulk past first. Give yourself some working room then to try a barrier to remove later. It is sort of a good problem to have on one hand but similar to other invasive corals these small problems happen from time to time.

All the best and good luck.

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck finding one. Rarer than a leprechauns pot of gold these days. I've been looking this whole year and only had one come across reef cleaners and missed it.

Manual removal - will release, or can release, the toxins so please be careful. Eye glass cover, gloves, vented window, etc. You can split them and give away, sell back to LFS, etc.

Can also place some rubble around them using temporary glue. They will spread over it and you can just peel it off when ready and again toss, give away, sell back, etc. Still wear PPE when doing this.

Kaulk paste will work similar to how one kills Aiptasia. Please note that you have to do this in small settings as your ph may rise.

You can add some other predators (fish) that are known to eat them but they will be picking them all so probably not an ideal choice. Just like the Gaudy clown crab. Not a good choice because they will pick the area and consume...

I think going through my thoughts I'd work on small manual removal using kaulk past first. Give yourself some working room then to try a barrier to remove later. It is sort of a good problem to have on one hand but similar to other invasive corals these small problems happen from time to time.

All the best and good luck.
Kalk paste only sort of works. You need long dwell time on the polyps to cause sufficient damage to eliminate them. As you mentioned this method can 1. Raise pH 2. Release toxin or irritants into the water column stressing out fish.

Additionally an issue with kalk is blows all over the tank as soon as you turn your pumps back on.

F Aptasia has solved part of the issue by having their formula harden some how so you can resume flow after a period of time without blowing it all over the place. However, it dose not work well on vertical surfaces.

Release of potential toxin causing issues seems to be significantly reduced with the siphon off method of manual removal. I increased my carbon just to make me feel better but not sure if it makes a difference, chemipure probably would have been a better selection.

vic5hands

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Use this will kill anything

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk paste only sort of works. You need long dwell time on the polyps to cause sufficient damage to eliminate them. As you mentioned this method can 1. Raise pH 2. Release toxin or irritants into the water column stressing out fish.

Additionally an issue with kalk is blows all over the tank as soon as you turn your pumps back on.

F Aptasia has solved part of the issue by having their formula harden some how so you can resume flow after a period of time without blowing it all over the place. However, it dose not work well on vertical surfaces.

Release of potential toxin causing issues seems to be significantly reduced with the siphon off method of manual removal. I increased my carbon just to make me feel better but not sure if it makes a difference, chemipure probably would have been a better selection.

Without a doubt. One you can buy that is a bit more thick or hardens while the other the hobbyist has to formulate a paste. Carbon is also important - it is a nice safety net. I forgot to add that.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back