How to know when clownfish is hosting anemone

ugchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, new to salt water tanks and have been trying to get my clownfish to host my new bubble tip anemone for a few weeks now. Today I went down at night and saw him doing this (video attached). But since then, I have not seen her go near the anemone again. Is the clownfish hosting the anemone or still no?

Thanks for any advice!!

OP
OP
ugchoi

ugchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I don’t know why the video wouldn’t attach to the original post! Here are pictures instead.

Attachments

• IMG_0354.jpeg
    IMG_0354.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0353.jpeg
    IMG_0353.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0355.jpeg
    IMG_0355.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 97

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the anemone that is the host, not the fish.
Aside from that minor distinction, BTA is not a natural host of Ocellaris clowns so the affinity of the clown to the host is low. Your fish will likely darts into the anemone when he think there is danger.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may or not be hosted by anything and might pick the return nozzle instead. That being said it appears to be hosted by your anemone. I have a duncan with well over a dozen heads. My female clown would swim in and lay in it every once in a while and over 2-3 months it slowly increased. It is now being hosted by the duncan and now my little male is starting to get into the game. The return nozzle where they spent over a year and a half appears jealous.

The Ginga Ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, new to salt water tanks and have been trying to get my clownfish to host my new bubble tip anemone for a few weeks now. Today I went down at night and saw him doing this (video attached). But since then, I have not seen her go near the anemone again. Is the clownfish hosting the anemone or still no?

Thanks for any advice!!
Hey here's some info on that! Most of this video covers clownfish, but around 9 minutes in there's a link to a video which teaches you how to actually get them to choose an anemone for it's host :) Hope this helps!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back