How to Quarantine

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I guess I can take him out of copper than. Not sure I want to put him in the main display though...

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I guess I can take him out of copper than. Not sure I want to put him in the main display though...

If you are sure it is just Lympho then I wouldn't let that prevent you from putting him in the DT. Lymphocystis is like the herpes virus in humans; rampant among the general population, but most with it either never show symptoms or symptoms are relatively mild/almost unnoticeable. Odds are you already have a fish in your DT that carries the Lympho virus.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so l was able to take a couple of pictures. They are heavily cropped because I could not get to close to the tank so resolution is not the best.

This is the white spot

IMG_1232.JPG

This is a picture from the other side. No spots that I can see.

IMG_1238.JPG

This does not seem like the lymphocytes pics I saw. However it can't be ich given that it is there for two weeks at full therapeutic dose, so the trophonts should have detached already...

This is a pic of my copper test this morning

IMG_1365.JPG

The upper right is the test and the lower left the 0,5 reference solution. To me it actually looks closer to 0,6 than 0,5.

Any ideas? I plan to leave it for another week in full copper.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. So should I take it out of copper or leave it for another week? I see no scratching, flashing or heavy breading. He is just very skittish and nervous.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. So should I take it out of copper or leave it for another week? I see no scratching, flashing or heavy breading. He is just very skittish and nervous.

I would leave him in the copper for the full 30 days before removing. Lymph isn't deadly most of the time, so being absolutely sure the ick is taken care of it the priority in my opinion.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. As he has been in copper for 2 weeks theoretically any free swimming parasites ( protomonts or Theronts) should have been killed, and given trophonts only feed on the fish for up to 7 days there should not be any chance of it having ich... also, this white spot on the fin has been there for two weeks so it should not be ich.

Having said this, and to be on the safe side I guess I will leave him there for another week and see what happens.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question: I am injecting air to the tank to increase oxygen levels given that this small QT does not have a skimmer and meds reduce oxygen levels. There are tons of micro bubbles in the tank. Is that harmfull to fish?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. As he has been in copper for 2 weeks theoretically any free swimming parasites ( protomonts or Theronts) should have been killed, and given trophonts only feed on the fish for up to 7 days there should not be any chance of it having ich... also, this white spot on the fin has been there for two weeks so it should not be ich.

Having said this, and to be on the safe side I guess I will leave him there for another week and see what happens.

If you were to take them out of the copper at this point, it should be into a sterile, new QT and not in the same tank. All my advice is on the "better safe than sorry" front. There are other ways, and you can always short-cut it, but I will never tell you to short cut anything.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question: I am injecting air to the tank to increase oxygen levels given that this small QT does not have a skimmer and meds reduce oxygen levels. There are tons of micro bubbles in the tank. Is that harmfull to fish?

no that should be fine for the fish. No prob.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be precisely it. I have another sterile tank waiting to put this fish in. But I will give it another week to see how it evolves. Thanks!

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Microbubbles do seem to bother a fish, but I can't say they are necessarily harmful. If the microbubbles get stuck to a fish's mucous coat, I've seen the fish shake them off. So, I guess at the very least it would be an irritant.

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how fish and corals that live in the chaotic waters of reef crests survive? Hell, some acropora are actually out of the water during low tide for hours and are fine. There are plenty of bubbles caused by breaking waves. Imho, the "Are micro bubbles hurting or irritating my fish and corals concern" is nonsense with zero facts to support worry. I've n seen plenty of tanks with lots of microbubbles and their livestock looked just fine, mine included.

I'm sure to many of us think the look of microbubbles detracts from the beauty of their tanks; however, I disagree. I don't want to look at a sanitized tank, I want to see a healthy level of algae and yes, microbubbles are fine as well.

immafishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
out of curiosity, if there was a coral dip that could potentially kill off ich tomonts, what would you use? I recently acquired a monstrous frogspawn colony and its way to big to put into my coral quarantine. Currently its in my second tank that already has ich because I was paranoid about infecting my large display with 7 acanthurus haha. but it takes up over half of my smaller tank so i'd like to move it to my larger tank.

Bayer? coral Rx? Revive? iodine?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
out of curiosity, if there was a coral dip that could potentially kill off ich tomonts, what would you use? I recently acquired a monstrous frogspawn colony and its way to big to put into my coral quarantine. Currently its in my second tank that already has ich because I was paranoid about infecting my large display with 7 acanthurus haha. but it takes up over half of my smaller tank so i'd like to move it to my larger tank.

Bayer? coral Rx? Revive? iodine?

I gotta say, that I really don't think you can kill ick or velvet tomonts with a coral dip. Copper can't do it either. If I were to take a guess at the one with the best chance (however slim) I would pick bayer from your list. Though I think i've seen people do dips with freshwater or even peroxide I think... One of those might have a slightly better chance to doing it, but i wouldn't risk it. AND I'm not even sure people do those two dips at all or how to do it.

immafishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta say, that I really don't think you can kill ick or velvet tomonts with a coral dip. Copper can't do it either. If I were to take a guess at the one with the best chance (however slim) I would pick bayer from your list. Though I think i've seen people do dips with freshwater or even peroxide I think... One of those might have a slightly better chance to doing it, but i wouldn't risk it. AND I'm not even sure people do those two dips at all or how to do it.

Ya, I'm thinking the same thing too, doubt it's possible, but if there was a good chance it'd still be good to know haha. i guess I'm just going to have to run my smaller tank fallow for a couple months... [emoji31]

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i guess I'm just going to have to run my smaller tank fallow for a couple months

That's something I can support! It's no fun of course, but still the best plan. ;)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The things we do for fish right!!

Yup! It's amazing. If they understood what all we went through for their health, they would probably think we are crazy, then try to escape down a drain that "leads to the ocean".

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back