@Manchild This article is gold
Thanks for the info. He was gone shortly after I posted the first pic. Such a shame Splendid dottybacks are very cool fish
Sorry to hear this, but as @Lionfish Lair alluded to there was little hope for survival.
Sorry for you loss sweetie.
I'm sorry :-(
So, I know being impatience in this hobby is a “no-no” but I was hoping to get some advice and maybe an exception for what I want/plan to do.
Below are the timelines:
11/03 – Purchased and placed it in a 10g QT (no treatment added yet)
11/06 – Started Paraguard
11/10 – Stop Paraguard as it did nothing (as Meredith had stated and I completely agreed!) but made the fish worse
11/13 – Did a 50% WC and stated Copper Safe using the manufacturer’s recommendation of 0.25 ppm and Prazipro as well
11/16 – Received the advice from Meredith that Copper Safe should be at 2 ppm to be effective. I then slowly added Copper Safe
11/17 – Did a 40% WC and started the second round of Prazipro
11/23 – Copper Safe finally reached 2 ppm
11/29 – 40% WC and Copper Safe is still at 2 ppm
I’m planning to purchase a Powder Blue Tang and a Yellow Tang on 12/15…
12/14 – Move the Kole Tang to the DT
12/15 – 50% WC and acclimate/transfer the new tangs in; Observe
12/17 or 11/18 – Start the Copper Safe and Prazipro treatment
My questions are:
Even though the Kole Tang has only been treated for 21 days and not the full 30 days, is this a big risk to transfer it to the DT?
Can it be transfer straight from the QT to the DT if I take the time acclimate it or does it need to go in to a observation tank for a couple of weeks first? I don’t currently have one set up. It’s doing/looking well in the QT – eating and swimming around like it’s nobody’s business.
Is it possible to quarantine two tangs (both will between 2.5”-3.5”) in a 10g for the next 4-6 weeks if I was to monitor the ammonia closely or will there be too much aggression even though they have two different shape/color (Acanthurus leucosternon & Zebrasoma flavescens)?
(Tang Police…please be nice )
I think it would be best to at least transfer the kole tang to an observation tank for a week or two... of course if you do that you might as well finish out the 30 days of copper (you only have 10 left anyway). The two tangs might be a bit much for the 10 gallon (filter-wise). I can't recall how big of a filter you have on the QT, but you'll need a big one to handle the two tangs I believe.
I just have a HOB filter, Marineland 150/200, which supposedly handles up to 50 gallons on the 10g. I also have a 29g that I was saving it to use as a QT/ for coral and other invertebrates or a HT for fish from the DT if needed and didn't want to have two tanks and two set of equipment that are contaminated with copper. But I guess I will have to use the 29g if I want to quarantine two tangs at the same time. That way, I can also keep the Kole tang in the 10g for another 10 days. I’m just in a rush to get the powder blue and yellow tangs before the deal is over with and/or before one of the fish is out of stock again.
I feel ya. That filter would be more than enough to handle it, but the tank size could be a problem for the two of them. Anyway, it's better safe than sorry ya know?
Quick Q, can you or better wld u quarantine fish and corals together
Can you say that again? I'm not sure I understand the question.
Is it ok but like I mean not just ok would you personally quarantine both fish and coral in the same say 10 gallon tank
Ohhh. No I wouldn't. Any corals that are exposed to new fish should be QT'd without fish present for 76 days before being added to the display. Plus, if you need medication (which you would if you treat prophylactically) the corals would need to be removed first.
Aha see that's what I thought but I just wanted to make sure before I do something stupid
It's always good to ask first, if you're not sure.
That's y I did
Hi, currently have a beautiful Regal Angel in QT for 3 weeks. He is an adult and eating everything from pellets to flakes to mysis. I have done two rounds of Prazi and now face the decision of either doing 10 days of copper and than transfer to an observation tank or TTM. Very nervous about TTM as never done it before. I would use plastic containers for the TTM which again would make me nervous in terms of absorbing bleach during sterilization...? Also interested in knowing what would be an effective sterilization method: 24h with diluted bleach (5% would be enough?) followed by quick rinse and dry or would it be safer to than fill with tap water and dechlorinator, and THEN rinse and dry?
I have seen 4ford falhas had a lot of positive results with cupramine but a lot of others have not, myself included...
I am a big believer of hypo. I feel it's easy and less stressful to the fish. The key to success to me is having a digital refractor that makes measuring salinity easy and accurate.
I would clean it out with diluted bleach, not let it soak. The really important part is to dry it very well and leave it dry for 24 hrs.
I found TTM to be too much work and was very stressful on both me and the fish. Also, with Velvet being so rampant right now, TTM won't help with that either. Until something happens to change my mind I am sticking with Coppersafe for my QT treatment.
I agree that hypo is a much easier on the fish. Unfortunately, some strains of Ich are not susceptible to hypo. I won't recommend against going the hypo route, but I do recommend doing at least a 2 week observation after the hypo is done before putting the fish in the DT.
Separate names with a comma.