How to remove this coral from the plug?

RickvDam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I got this Ricordea Florida which I want to place on a rock to make a little garden. However the plug is mega, and as it's quite a slow growing coral, the plug will be visible for a long time. And the spot where I want to put it is right in the front of the tank which will look ugly.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I got this Ricordea Florida which I want to place on a rock to make a little garden. However the plug is mega, and as it's quite a slow growing coral, the plug will be visible for a long time. And the spot where I want to put it is right in the front of the tank which will look ugly.

Mushrooms will detach if they are in an unflavored spot, maybe try putting it in a high flow spot, wait for it to detach and then place it on the rock, though I'm not positive if this is the best way to go about it. @encrustingacro?

WLDSHARK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
A good bone cutter will be a good tool to use to cut off the extra pieces of the plug. Then glue the piece holding the ric to your desire location; however, if the ric is not happy there they will detach. From the picture it seems pretty happy at its current spot. Happy Reefing!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231121_105827_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231121_105827_Chrome.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
R

RickvDam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the picture it seems pretty happy at its current spot.
Really? I've had it there for about 2 weeks now since I got it and it opens, but doesn't show any signs of growth...

Didn't quite know where to put it. But now that I do it might not be happy there... Would a smart move be to put it, still on the plug, on the spot I want it to see if it detaches? How long would it take to detach?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I've had it there for about 2 weeks now since I got it and it opens, but doesn't show any signs of growth...

Didn't quite know where to put it. But now that I do it might not be happy there... Would a smart move be to put it, still on the plug, on the spot I want it to see if it detaches? How long would it take to detach?
Growth takes a very long time, polyp extension is a great way to gage its health in the short term. Probably would detach in less than a week but idk. Not a mushroom expert

OP
OP
R

RickvDam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growth takes a very long time, polyp extension is a great way to gage its health in the short term.
Don't really notice anything different about it since I got it except for it opening fine so I guess he's just happy and vibing. I will put it where I would like a little garden without any glue, and check up on it daily.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms will detach if they are in an unflavored spot, maybe try putting it in a high flow spot, wait for it to detach and then place it on the rock, though I'm not positive if this is the best way to go about it. @encrustingacro?
Honestly not sure; I haven't dealt much with corallimorphs. I would guess the same way one removes an anemone from the rockwork, or alternatively, cut off the extra plug parts with a bonecutter and glue the part it's on to where you want it.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 36 35.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%

Back