how to set lights to stop algae

mclay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have a rea sea E-260 with rea sea leds and new house has lot of windows . I have to leave lights off to keep algae from growing . do not have any rooms that don't get sun light.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start by making sure all the green and red led channels are off as this is what algae thrives on. Secondly, try running the light for less time or for less time throughout the day.

Also the light its self is probably not causing the algae to grow. Its a combination of the light, flow, and nutrients in water. What are your nitrates and phosphate reading at.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old of a tank? What are your parameters?

Welcome to R2R!

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 year NO2 1 ppm NO3 35 ppm
Nitrate is a tad high. Especially if dealing with algae issues. What's your phosphate at? What size tank? How's your clean up crew?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some research on that tank. For clean up crew check out reefcleaners.org and get a cleaner package from them. Will help with diversity of what you currently have. That system should have a sump. Set up a refugium and grow some chaeto to help with nutrient levels. Dosing live phyto also helped my algae problems greatly. I started with the algae barn stuff.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed with white light led spectrum drop, mine are zero whites in fact. all pop=less algae for sure/green microalgae glass cleaning work is much less under blues for sure. less incidence of coral bleaching too, although plenty of tanks still run the 10K look on LED's

less to no white is better for your goals for sure. I have lots of folks switch to blue vs white in tank cpr rescue threads, coral bleaching prevention threads, algae threads, I use it in my own setup on the ai prime/whites are off

the anecdotal pattern is powerful enough I do recommend it.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 26.0%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 37 35.6%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 18 17.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back