How to transfer snails with contaminated shells

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight I am looking to transfer 4 Astrea snails into my new tank. The tank they are coming from (my old tank) has flatworms and bubble algae which I obviously don’t want in the new tank.

Will just scrubbing the shells with a tooth brush and rinsing in a container be adequate to avoid transferring algae into the new tank? I’m most concerned about the bubble algae

Last edited:

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say its not worth it. I bought snails (from a reputable vendor) that came with acoel flatworms didn't know it either wish I would have QT'ed them but I needed algae eaters ASAP and the LFS only hade huge golfball sized turbos. In a 4g they would have bulldozed everything.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say its not worth it. I bought snails (from a reputable vendor) that came with acoel flatworms didn't know it either wish I would have QT'ed them but I needed algae eaters ASAP and the LFS only hade huge golfball sized turbos. In a 4g they would have bulldozed everything.
Just to clarify, they are coming from my old tank

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight I am looking to transfer 4 Astrea snails into my new tank. The tank they are coming from (my old tank) has flatworms and bubble algae which I obviously don’t want in the new tank.

Will just scrubbing the shells with a tooth brush and rinsing in a container be adequate to avoid transferring algae into the new tank? I’m most concerned about the bubble algae
paint their shells with hydrogen peroxide and scrub with hydrogen peroxide but try not to get any hydrogen peroxide on snail flesh itself. Snail will hate having a toothbrush scrub, so it will be pulling up tight into shell, which helps process

Hydrogen peroxide will kill any bubble algae.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Salifert Flatworm eXit is a great product to get rid of flatworms, if you are keeping the old tank going. Try to get as many worms out first and then treat. I then treated either 1-2 weekends later, not a worm since!

This is the procedure I followed. Due to my tank size, I had to get more than 1 bottle as my 180g went thru about 1 1/2 Salifert Flatworm eXit bottles each of two treatments (have a tiny bit left over). Box says it will treat 300 gallons, but not if you treat it like this procedure I followed:

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert Flatworm eXit is a great product to get rid of flatworms, if you are keeping the old tank going. Try to get as many worms out first and then treat. I then treated either 1-2 weekends later, not a worm since!

This is the procedure I followed. Due to my tank size, I had to get more than 1 bottle as my 180g went thru about 1 1/2 Salifert Flatworm eXit bottles each of two treatments (have a tiny bit left over). Box says it will treat 300 gallons, but not if you treat it like this procedure I followed:
I don’t plan on keeping the tank going but appreciate the advice! As for the peroxide I will definitely try that! Only one snail seems to have it right now but I’ll do it on all of them

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t plan on keeping the tank going but appreciate the advice! As for the peroxide I will definitely try that! Only one snail seems to have it right now but I’ll do it on all of them
yes, do them all - it only takes a spore and we aren't likely to see that

I had bubble and multiple nuisance algae types that took months to cleanup... hydrogen peroxide is available anywhere, quick to use and would have saved me lots of time & $$ if I just had used better multiple step dip process sooner... (BRS video)

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done exactly what @Fish Think Pink is suggesting with scrubbing snail shells with a toothbrush and peroxide...just don't get it on the snail itself, just the top shell. I know they are just snails, but they are also living animals and shouldn't be just thrown away.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done exactly what @Fish Think Pink is suggesting with scrubbing snail shells with a toothbrush and peroxide...just don't get it on the snail itself, just the top shell. I know they are just snails, but they are also living animals and shouldn't be just thrown away.
That was my dilemma. I’d feel weird giving them to an LFS and just tossing them away would be cruel

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, do them all - it only takes a spore and we aren't likely to see that

I had bubble and multiple nuisance algae types that took months to cleanup... hydrogen peroxide is available anywhere, quick to use and would have saved me lots of time & $$ if I just had used better multiple step dip process sooner... (BRS video)
How would you go about transferring stomatellas or emerald crabs? I can’t imagine many hitchhikers would come on those

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you go about transferring stomatellas or emerald crabs? I can’t imagine many hitchhikers would come on those
Carefully and with prayers... Defer to others on this as can't fresh dip and all I can think is repeated clean saltwater rinses to move between tanks...

Back