How to wire a GFCI outlet

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good quality GFI would be more reliable, you get what you pay for ..... Myself I dont use them in my main circulation pump, its a risk I am willingto take.

cba191

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking this looks good. Am I wrong?

41wQftmiS7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: Tripp Lite TLM825GF 8-Outlet Safety Power Strip with GFCI Plug and Metal Housing (25ft Cord, OSHA Yellow): Electronics

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a simple surge protector, no GFI protection. They do make them though, and yes if it is GFI protected I would use it.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cba if unsure about how the manager would be about you installing a gfi you could check with them about it. I installed one in my apartment, actually the boyfriend did most of the work. Because of the safety that it gives if your landlord is allowing you to have a tank I would think that they would be with installing a gfi.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skinz...I hope you have your GFCI degree :D

Thanks for the thread. I share it will all new reefers and even unenthusiast's who just want a new outlet....in hopes the content of the site will unconsciously stick with them, leading to a future hobbyist.

Diamond Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are also WR weather resistant outlets available that use metals that hold up better to moist environments. In NC all exterior outlets must be WR.

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being an electrician myself i would suggest buying GFI's rated at 20 amp loads. The 15 amp models have weaker components in them. Also make sure you buy Leviton Smart lock GFI's. Prevents alot of nuisance tripping if you have a lot of noise on your line.

slapshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tips! The only thing I would add is to wrap a piece of electrical tape around the outlet covering the screws. Just a little added protection against something coming in contact with the screws.

icsparks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a friend of mine demonstrated how a GFCI will not trip in a condition where there is no path to ground. How is this possible? Ground fault outlets monitor the current on the hot and the neutral wire only, if the GFCI sees a current difference between the two indicating a current leak to ground it will trip. You can stand there all day long on a rubber matt holding the hot in one hand and the neutral in the other and the GFCI will not trip because the incoming and outgoing current would be the same. Your body could be a light bulb for all it cares. But the moment you touch a grounded object it will trip. Most people get shocked because their body provided a path to ground for current to flow, this is where the GFCI can save a life. Adding a grounding probe in the tank will help provide a path to ground and also help attract stray currents often found in aquariums produced by faulty equipment. That stray current will go through the probe and not your body and if you have a GFCI on the tank it should trip and keep you safe. Always make sure you have a good grounded circuit going to your tank. Remember that the GFCI looks for leaks to ground. Without a good system ground the GFCI will not protect your equipment or you.

Spendley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skinz,

In the process of redoing basement, while electrician was here I asked him to replace my 'fish tank outlet' with a GCFI. Upon installation, it did not work. He said this was because the other outlet (room across the hall) was GCFI.

Does this mean that my 'fish tank outlet' is downstream for a GCFI and thus acts like one accordingly?

Thanks,

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skinz,

In the process of redoing basement, while electrician was here I asked him to replace my 'fish tank outlet' with a GCFI. Upon installation, it did not work. He said this was because the other outlet (room across the hall) was GCFI.

Does this mean that my 'fish tank outlet' is downstream for a GCFI and thus acts like one accordingly?

Thanks,

It should be, did you ask him?

Spendley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not point blank no, pretty much just got the "it doesn't work because that outlet is one" response and didn't want to sound like an idiot. I do recall him saying it should work as one but I wasn't exactly clear how so that combined with this post makes me feel like it is downstream and will act as one.

Thanks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back