How volatile is this list of fish?

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm in the process of setting up a new tank and I let my daughters go through all the fish on live aquaria and pick whatever they liked to make a list. I've already taken all the 500 wrasse and damsels they picked out off the list and added a few I like as well. I'm just wondering if there would be any large problems with any of the fish on the list. I don't plan to get everything on the list but I haven't decided what we will get yet. Anyway, here's the list, who is killing who???

2x ocellaris clowns (paired)
Diamond watchman goby
Blue tang
Lyretail Anthias
Orange shoulder tang
Orchid dottyback
Purple tang
Desjardini sailfin tang
Sailfin blenny
Flame angelfish
Foxface lo
Regal angelfish
2x Watanabi angelfish (Male and female)

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank, and will it be a reef or "fish only"?

OP
OP
T

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I get the question, that isn't what I'm asking. I'm only asking about fish compatability.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Flame will be the bully of the tank next with a attitude would be the Blue and Sailfin tangs, then the other angels. If you introduce the tangs and the Angels last you will be fine given the tank is large enough. With this list I assume the tank will be a minimum of 180 gallons. With the exception of the Flame Angel your other angels and tangs will grow pretty fast and out grow anything smaller within a year depending on the size you get.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I get the question, that isn't what I'm asking. I'm only asking about fish compatability.
Tank size definitely matters as the size of the tank will play a part in aggression

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the compatibility will depend on the size of the tank. If some one gives you answers without knowing that, then they are most likely giving you bad answers.
Absolutely correct!!! If a person wants correct information and the learning knowledge from those that know more info is required.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No obvious issues, as long as the tank is large enough, especially for the blue, orange shoulder, and sailfin tangs.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No obvious issues, as long as the tank is large enough, especially for the blue, orange shoulder, and sailfin tangs.

There are issues with stocking order and compatibility risks as well as several that are reef “risks”.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then if you add in the order I suggested above, and it will be a fish only with live rock NO corals you’ll be fine. But they will out grow a small 180 within 2 years to be humane.

OP
OP
T

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did read the flame could be a bully so it should be added last and the tangs would do better if added at the same time. I haven't seen much about other angels though. Your post above reads like the tangs and angels should all be put in at the same time, am I reading that correctly?

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ajhudson15 Which would you not put together because of adult size?
the tangs, foxface, and regal can get pretty big. Im not saying its not doable, really just depends on the specific fish and if they are a jerk or not. some fish behave better than others. I do agree to do the tangs and angels last. if you have territory issues ive always heard that rearranging the rockwork can help reset their territory

OP
OP
T

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that about the rock work as well. I wasn't planning on adding multiple fish at a time really unless there were multiple tangs involved but if adding any tangs and angels together and last is the way to go then that's what we will do.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is a 180.

I did read the flame could be a bully so it should be added last and the tangs would do better if added at the same time. I haven't seen much about other angels though. Your post above reads like the tangs and angels should all be put in at the same time, am I reading that correctly?
All at once could cause a bio load shock. Within a few days of each other to prevent territorial fights, absolutely!
The tangs, Fox face, and Angels except the flame will out grow a 180 within a year or two max if you get everything on that list. Large Angels and Tangs are very active swimmers and need a lot of room to swim to avoid aggression.

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tangs and angels should be last but all together. if you had a tang one at a time the first one will mark territory and then fight the one you add later

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All at once could cause a bio load shock. Within a few days of each other to prevent territorial fights, absolutely!
The tangs, Fox face, and Angels except the flame will out grow a 180 within a year or two max if you get everything on that list. Large Angels and Tangs are very active swimmers and need a lot of room to swim to avoid aggression.
lol kinda what I just put. if the tank is big enough and the tangs are small I don't see an issue with the bio load as long as its not like 6 or more fish

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol kinda what I just put. if the tank is big enough and the tangs are small I don't see an issue with the bio load as long as its not like 6 or more fish
Correct I was typing as you posted. My old bones don’t type very fast lol

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back