How volatile is this list of fish?

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s safe to say you can use more then 1 finger to type lol Not that one, well maybe that one too lol
I work at a credit union so im on the computer all day lol

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyway to get back on topic lol. those fish are fine as long as they get along. the only reason I said I wouldn't is because in a large tank it can be a pain in the a** to catch a fish. so the less likely you have to do so the better in my opinion.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm in the process of setting up a new tank and I let my daughters go through all the fish on live aquaria and pick whatever they liked to make a list. I've already taken all the 500 wrasse and damsels they picked out off the list and added a few I like as well. I'm just wondering if there would be any large problems with any of the fish on the list. I don't plan to get everything on the list but I haven't decided what we will get yet. Anyway, here's the list, who is killing who???

2x ocellaris clowns (paired)
Diamond watchman goby
Blue tang
Lyretail Anthias
Orange shoulder tang
Orchid dottyback
Purple tang
Desjardini sailfin tang
Sailfin blenny
Flame angelfish
Foxface lo
Regal angelfish
2x Watanabi angelfish (Male and female)

Stocking list in order:

Foxface and watanabi. These are the first and most peaceful of many grazers. Keep a lot of nori instock and plan on using a sheet or two per day as you add more grazers

Anthias and clowns second. The fact that they are ocellaris makes them about as peaceful as they come

Blue, orange shoulder, and desjardini all grow over a foot.

Purple tang is ok. If you must have one of the above tangs, go with the blue or orange. Not the desjardini as it is a zebrasoma like the purple tang and that is a high risk combo.

Doty back and flame angel next.

Regal is an expert only and not recommended.

Blenny anytime once algae is growing all over your rocks.

Diamond goby after a year as it feeds off the micro fauna in the sand bed and that takes time to grow and become established. Otherwise they tend to wither away

If you choose to make this a reef, you will need to invest in some serious filtration and have excellent husbandry.

If you have other wrasse or damsels as mentioned above, throw everything I said out the window!

OP
OP
T

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks for the input. No desjardini and no regal for sure. I have no wrasse or damsel and don't plan to get any as I've read they can be the worst bullies even though they are small. I didn't notice the orange shoulder got and desjardini could grow to over a foot either so the orange shoulder will be out on that as well. I was trying to keep everything at a max of 6" with a few exceptions. I'll have to break the bad news to them eventually but not right away. Lol

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks for the input. No desjardini and no regal for sure. I have no wrasse or damsel and don't plan to get any as I've read they can be the worst bullies even though they are small. I didn't notice the orange shoulder got and desjardini could grow to over a foot either so the orange shoulder will be out on that as well. I was trying to keep everything at a max of 6" with a few exceptions. I'll have to break the bad news to them eventually but not right away. Lol
mot fish wont get that big in a tank. this is a heavily debated topic as some think its not healthy for them to be stunted but it happens. I would say two fish or so that get over 6" would be fine. but just think. the more smaller fish you have the more fish you get could.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Most wrasses arent bullies if you choose the right species, and if you stick to chrysiptera damsels you can keep a shoal of them with springers being as docile as they come

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Angel_Anthias lover The main reason I'm avoiding wrasse is because I saw them listed over and over again in the which fish will you not keep again thread.

Most likely they were talking of six lines, mystery, and their cousins.

There are so many fairy, flasher, and Halichoeres genus wrasses you should look into.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Damsels are a colorful and active fish. You could easily add quite a few for an awesome display. Check out the azure damsels. They are NOT bullies. I have 3 and wish I went with 5-7 in my 108 gallon.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely they were talking of six lines, mystery, and their cousins.

There are so many fairy, flasher, and Halichoeres genus wrasses you should look into.

Yea avoid the genus psuedocheilinus, and if u want really peaceful wrasses look at the possum wrasses and the pink streaked wrasse

OP
OP
T

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I saw red heads listed several times too I'm going back to look again now. I've slept since I read that so who knows what I read.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mot fish wont get that big in a tank. this is a heavily debated topic as some think its not healthy for them to be stunted but it happens. I would say two fish or so that get over 6" would be fine. but just think. the more smaller fish you have the more fish you get could.

Fish do not get stunted. In fact they grow to adult size rather quickly as they don’t have to deal with the stresses of living in the wild......like being eaten.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish do not get stunted. In fact they grow to adult size rather quickly as they don’t have to deal with the stresses of living in the wild......like being eaten.
I disagree. ok maybe not stunted but growth can be slowed down. im had a fish for over 4 years in a 220 than is known to get over a foot in the wild and its only 6 inches in my tank. in the wild im sure it would have already been adult size or full grown.

OP
OP
T

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broke the bad news and they looked again. This is the current list I am open to, any problems with the new additions?

2x ocellaris clowns
Diamond watchman goby
Blue tang
Lyretail anthias(male)
Orchid dottyback
Purple tang
Sailfin blenny
Flame angelfish
Foxface lo
2x watanabi angelfish(Male and female)
Zebrabarred dottyfish
Springeri dottyback
Scott's fairy wrasse
Scissortail goby
Blue head fairy wrasse

I think the new additions shouldn't have any trouble with the old list just wanted to double check.

OP
OP
T

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mta_morrow How do the new fish change your order from earlier? Also, what do you consider serious filtration? I have a ton of hatian rock, a large marine pure block and a nyos 160 skimmer. I don't think that would be considered serious filtration though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back