OP
T

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stuff like this is why I wanted to avoid wrasse all together.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stuff like this is why I wanted to avoid wrasse all together.

why? it's a massive group of fish with so many awesome ones. just choose wisely. there's a small handful of fairy wrasses that are to be avoided, they're all on that chart.

they range in size from little pink streaked wrasses to the napoleon wrasse, so naturally there's a difference in behavior.

OP
OP
T

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mattzang Every wrasse they have picked seems to be one that has issues. After I went through the what fish you wouldn't keep again thread and saw most of the wrasse they picked I just marked them all off. I put 2 back on the list and 1 of those is gone already. Lol

OP
OP
T

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@albano I have plenty of time to look. We aren't anywhere near the stocking phase. I haven't even gotten everything I've ordered for the build yet.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mattzang Every wrasse they have picked seems to be one that has issues. After I went through the what fish you wouldn't keep again thread and saw most of the wrasse they picked I just marked them all off. I put 2 back on the list and 1 of those is gone already. Lol

that's the sixline, seems fish stores push them on new people (mine did) and fail to mention that as they mature they become little psychos. they're cute and colorful so people jump at them. this is what evolved put for that genus:

About Pseudocheilinus

The “Lined” wrasses, such as the Sixline, Fourline, etc., but also include such species as the Mystery Wrasse. Once established in a system, they often become quite confrontational towards new additions and are outright incompatible with other wrasses. For this reason, most should avoid the genus. However, they do hold some merit in the hobby as they can be a great addition in the appropriate setting. This is a very hardy genus and will readily hunt for pods and pests throughout the system. Therefore, they are a great addition to frag tanks or other small systems which are not suited for the larger genera. As much of a bully as they generally are, they are also notorious for being shy when observers are around. Species in this genus do not need a sand bed, as they will sleep within the rockwork in a mucus cocoon. Category 2 in terms of reef-safeness.

and this is what he put regarding the scott's:

C. scottorum “Scott’s Fairy”: Occasionally available, somewhat expensive. Very prone to fading coloration in captivity, males will lose their red spot and other saturated colors. Often the most aggressive of the genus and should not be kept with other Cirrhilabrus.

i mean you don't need to have wrasses, but there's a reason why there's several sticky posts dedicated to them, they're awesome, colorful, active, and most of them are very peaceful.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on the blue head? I'll have them look at more and do a little extra research before I put any on the list.

do you know the scientific name?

this guy?

if so:

C. cyanopleura “Blue-Sided Fairy”: One of the larger species in the genus (6”). Usually peaceful. There is a great deal of variation within this species depending upon collection region.

i think that complex is mostly pretty good to go

i'd go all in on research before you add stuff and post on here, people have a ton of experience and knowledge on here that will help you. and catching fish that are already in your tank can be very difficult.

once you get a decent idea of a stocklist, post in this thread and there's a few folks that are super knowledgeable that will see if there will be any issues.

OP
OP
T

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure that's the one. I was asking the kids to show me as they wrote them down so I could check the stats on them but I don't remember the pics really. I won't be adding anything for several more months since the tank isn't even set up yet let alone cycled.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red headed solon fairy wrasse. Quite a few turn into jerks including the one I traded in at my LFS

OP
OP
T

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mta_morrow I posted an updated list last night on page 2 and asked this:

How do the new fish change your order from earlier? Also, what do you consider serious filtration? I have a ton of hatian rock, a large marine pure block and a nyos 160 skimmer. I don't think that would be considered serious filtration though.

Whatcha think? Or are you saying the red head is the only wrasse that would have changed the order?

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broke the bad news and they looked again. This is the current list I am open to, any problems with the new additions?

2x ocellaris clowns
Diamond watchman goby
Blue tang
Lyretail anthias(male)
Orchid dottyback
Purple tang
Sailfin blenny
Flame angelfish
Foxface lo
2x watanabi angelfish(Male and female)
Zebrabarred dottyfish
Springeri dottyback
Scott's fairy wrasse
Scissortail goby
Blue head fairy wrasse

I think the new additions shouldn't have any trouble with the old list just wanted to double check.

Zebra breed gobies and other gobies first except for the diamond goby. Wait 8 months to a year for it. These are all the most peaceful.

Clowns, watanabes and foxface next

Lyretail anthias and 1 or the wrasse. You cannot do both given one is a Scott’s. If you do the Scotts, I recommend it be the only wrasse in the tank.

Both tangs at the same time. Be sure the foxface and angels are settled in.

Blenny when there is algae on the rocks.

Flame angel and 1 Dotyback last. It is not recommended to have multiple dotybacks. They are mean and don’t play well with others, especially other dotybacks.

This is a semi aggressive tank for sure.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mta_morrow I posted an updated list last night on page 2 and asked this:

How do the new fish change your order from earlier? Also, what do you consider serious filtration? I have a ton of hatian rock, a large marine pure block and a nyos 160 skimmer. I don't think that would be considered serious filtration though.

Whatcha think? Or are you saying the red head is the only wrasse that would have changed the order?

Just commenting on a red head wrasse, that’s all.

As far as filtration, you had a lot of tangs on your first list. They are pooping machines and generate a lot of waste that needs to be removed if you are going to keep any coral.

You second list is reasonable for a 180.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You have fish on list that will squabble, argue over territory, have vegetation requirements and require a tank size of 125 gallons or even larger.
No matter what you stock, stock slowly, feed sparingly and provide good hiding via rock work

OP
OP
T

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have fish on list that will squabble, argue over territory, have vegetation requirements and require a tank size of 125 gallons or even larger.
No matter what you stock, stock slowly, feed sparingly and provide good hiding via rock work

That's the plan, the tank is a 180 but I want really planning on adding all of them just wanted to check for obvious problems. Also, there I'd an updated list I'm not sure if you saw that or just the original. I took the bigger fish off the original list.

Back