How will the remaining tangs react? Advice wanted

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Would like to bounce some ideas off you guys and gals on what to do.

100gal mixed reef

I plan on donating my young blue hippo tang to my LFS, pretty soon. He outgrew his last sleeping spot so I think its time. Enjoyed it while it lasted. This will leave a yellow tang, kole tang, lemonpeel angel, pintail fairy wrasse, a pair of helfrichi firefish, pair of clowns, two bimac anthias, and a banggai cardinal

The question is. In your experience is a third tang usually necessary to break up aggression among two already established tangs? If it is necessary my plan would be to take the kole and yellow tangs out for a couple weeks and then reintroduce them at the same time as the new tang(thinking convict but not sure. feel free to chime in on that too)

My preference is to not have to get another tang. Thinking maybe the lemonpeel will even out aggression among the three as he is in fact targeted by the kole. Fairly certain the kole messes with him because he also eats algae.

TIA! Happy reefing.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree time to take out the hippo. Time will tell how much bullying was occurring sometimes extra tangs helps spread aggression but maybe it was just the two in the first place. Take it out and watch and see.

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s always unpredictable. I agree with your idea about taking them both out and returning them to the tank at the same time. It worked for me when my purple and scopas were being aggressive to each other.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back