HOW??

Ashley786

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a crazy 1.

I see these nano reefs with a few LPS and soft coral in lobbies around, with a HOB skimmer and nothing else, clearly neglected, power heads disintegrating and falling apart. Yet the coral survives. Brown, usually, not many vibrant colors. But the clown fish are fat and healthy and the coral is alive.

How is this possible.
What coral survivea a set and forget system.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a crazy 1.

I see these nano reefs with a few LPS and soft coral in lobbies around, with a HOB skimmer and nothing else, clearly neglected, power heads disintegrating and falling apart. Yet the coral survives. Brown, usually, not many vibrant colors. But the clown fish are fat and healthy and the coral is alive.

How is this possible.
Nothing kills gsp

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because lps and softies like dirtier water and thrive on those conditions. A lot of your cheapy corals nobody wants, is what you see typically.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goniopora (some not all). These are grown from small frags I put in my quarantine tank just for fun. No skimmer, carbon, or any other filtration. I change about 3 gallons of water (30%) once a week. Phosphates are super high as I was feeding pellets 3-4x day to put some size on my aquaculture mandarin before he went into my display.

I guess this is not 'set and forget' due to the water changes, but it is certainly a very no frills system.

Attachments

• IMG_3749 2.jpg
    IMG_3749 2.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 37

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color is really for us. A coral can be dirty brown and be healthy. As long as nutrients and minerals are met they are happy. Feeding and bio waste helps feed the coral. Since color is based on algae and light and to protect and photynthesis(way to much technical data and lots more people that can help here than me lol) its a symbiosis. Because softies and lps consume less minerals than sps, they can do well with little to no dosing with adequate water changes. But if truly neglected, softies will survive but lps will not be able to grow further once minerals depleted.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a crazy 1.

How is this possible.
I changed to softies and loving it... after 15 years I need a do nothing tank for awhile!

Here is the one that comes to mind tho:

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because lps and softies like dirtier water and thrive on those conditions. A lot of your cheapy corals nobody wants, is what you see typically.

This statement has always bugged me. How is it that people have come to believe that softies like "dirty water"? The ocean is the ocean, there is no "dirty" water in just a certain area. What in the world makes people believe that just because a certain group of coral can survive in less than ideal conditions that these corals "like dirty water"????

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here's a crazy 1.

How is this possible.
Set and forget often offer good nutrient export

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This statement has always bugged me. How is it that people have come to believe that softies like "dirty water"? The ocean is the ocean, there is no "dirty" water in just a certain area. What in the world makes people believe that just because a certain group of coral can survive in less than ideal conditions that these corals "like dirty water"????
You do realize there are areas in parts of the ocean that have higher concentrations of things such as sediment, nutrients, available food, etc? The ocean just isn’t the same
Ocean everywhere…

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soft coral absolutely does not like, nor need high nutrients. They require the same as anything else. But, they THRIVE when given plenty of small particle foods. AKA, turbid water. Yes, most can TOLERATE the high nutrients that usually go hand in hand, but I assure you they aren't thriving.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back