How's this sump design?

EricB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning a 200DD build with 40B sump. I know that the sump is a little small, but I need to fit all my equipment in the Marineland Monterey stand so this is the largest sump I could fit. I'm only going to move about 600 gph through the sump.

My main concern is the baffles. The only other sump I built was for my 125 and some of the baffles went all the way to the top of the sump. With this design, none of the baffles will go all the way up, but instead I plan on putting four 2" X 2" squares of glass near the top to which I will clip eggcrate. If there is a power failure, this will prevent macro from floating into the other chambers and causing problems when power is restored.

Each square on the graph paper represents 1"

IMG_8809.jpg

rhino56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
raise the water level to get the most volume you can, on my 104 gallon sump i use for my 40 breeder in the first section the water is about 2" from the top. I have a small pipe i use as an overflow that goes to a drain incase of overflow.

OP
OP
EricB

EricB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that idea. I need to leave enough room for back-flow, though. Idk how much will drain and I don't have the luxury of plumbing to a drain.

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Rhino. Raise the water level. You can control the amount of water that gets siphoned by raising the return nozzles so the siphon breaks as soon as the water level drops. Also If you plan on putting sand in the fuge your baffle arraignment will not work. You can just put a single baffle between the skimmer and the fuge with the bubble trap at the end.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Rhino, and when I ran a 40g sump/fuge the skimmer chamber was set at 12" with an egg crate stand. This will also help from having back flow into skimmer chamber when return pump is off.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
EricB

EricB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your responses! My last tank had a coast to coast with external BeanAnimal. On this tank (200DD) I plan on running a BeanAnimal again, with the full siphon and open channel in the L overflow, and the emergency drain and return in the R overflow. Should I drill the siphon break in the return plumbing inside of the overflow, or outside? I figure if I put it inside the overflow it will break faster. I like the idea of raising the water level, but I am concerned about having enough room for backflow during power failure. Even without a stand for the skimmer, I could run the skimmer in 9.25" of water which isn't much more, but I could add another inch to all of the chambers.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 136 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back