Hurricane Ian devastation

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you that are inclined to / want to , I ask if you could say a prayer to those people who are in the path or affected by this very bad intense storm heading from south west Florida up through Daytona and all places in between . If praying isn’t something you do please at least keep them in your hearts . Thank you !!!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you that are inclined to / want to , I ask if you could say a prayer to those people who are in the path or affected by this very bad intense storm heading from south west Florida up through Daytona and all places in between . If praying isn’t something you do please at least keep them in your hearts . Thank you !!!
What is coming your way?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't you guys prepared for such things? Almost each year there is something hitting you, sometimes few times a year.
Yeah, Its always good to keep everyone going through a natural disaster in your prayers.

Last edited by a moderator:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully water isn’t too warm. Whilst a category 1 or 2 hurricane isn’t as bad, they can still do damage. And with the path going over water (A hurricanes main source of power) you never know if it could strengthen up again.
Stay safe!!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanna know where all the fish in Tampa Bay went? Out to Sea? You would like quite a few would get land trapped...

28ian-blog-low-water-tampa-bay2-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg

ALSO....WONDERING if they are finding cars ppl pushed into the Bay. Lol

Last edited:

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Mom has a place on Captiva... The causeway collapsed so it will likely be a while before we see what all happened but I can't imagine there will be anything left, highest point above sea level is 3-4 feet on the island, its basically a glorified sandbar.

It will really suck to loose it but its their winter/rental place so its not like we'll be loosing it all like many others. Honestly this had me really down earlier today, I saw what Charlie did when I was 6 and this apparently Ian has hit much harder.

Heres hoping relief efforts will be swift and there will be minimal loss of life.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for folks who don't live in areas prone to hurricanes, here's a picture of what our property in the Bahamas looked like after Joaquin in 2015. The eye missed us by about eighty miles. Joaquin was a category four at the time.

In comparison, Lili completely flattened the property in 1996. It was a category two hurricane, but we got a portion of the eye wall. We had a row of towering casuarinas that lined the beach, and the storm surge flattened them all, and then went on a tear through the house. You can certainly get a wallop by any hurricane, irrespective of its rating by the National Hurricane Centre.

E2631EB0-34A8-47EA-A2FE-33FA0498EFEF.jpeg 24168BB5-2EA1-4F8C-9756-0730AA91A684.jpeg

Last edited:

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts and prayers go out to folks in harm’s way. Regardless of natural disasters big and small, my perspective is to make sure you and your loved ones are safe. Leave the rest to insurance companies and govt officials to sort out. Life is too precious — that is the most important thing to me.

Speaking of precious, second to making sure your family is safe, is your tank(s) and its inhabitants safe? I believe many Floridians are without power? I hope that people have battery backup / generator to keep the basic life necessities going until power is restored?

Should anyone suffered from a tank loss due to Ian and need some frags to recover, please PM and count me in? As a reefer, I hope that I can contribute to help recover your loss.

Kind regards.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, Its always good to keep everyone going through a natural disaster in your prayers.
While that’s generally true this storm was of a different breed.
I‘ve lived in Fl for 50 years.
Live in ponce inlet which is just south of Daytona.

We got 16” of rain in less than 24 hours. Coupled with what was billed as a TS but delivered 50-60mph winds with gusts to the 90‘s, for about 16 hours.

I was lucky never lost power and didn’t have the river (1000ft away) come into my yard.

Have dozens of friends who live 5-6 miles inland who had 2 feet of water in their house. Mind you never even came close to flooding in decades.

The experts are calling it a 200 years flood event.

Watch the news the massive damage from Ft Myers NE to NSB/Daytona area will be shocking.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Mom has a place on Captiva... The causeway collapsed so it will likely be a while before we see what all happened but I can't imagine there will be anything left, highest point above sea level is 3-4 feet on the island, its basically a glorified sandbar.

It will really suck to loose it but its their winter/rental place so its not like we'll be loosing it all like many others. Honestly this had me really down earlier today, I saw what Charlie did when I was 6 and this apparently Ian has hit much harder.

Heres hoping relief efforts will be swift and there will be minimal loss of life.
Charley was a huge mess and a giant pain.

Ian will have 5x the damage. The massive size and flooding will dwarf what Charley did.

Been here since 1971 and Charley was the worst in my area until this one.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While that’s generally true this storm was of a different breed.
I‘ve lived in Fl for 50 years.
Live in ponce inlet which is just south of Daytona.

We got 16” of rain in less than 24 hours. Coupled with what was billed as a TS but delivered 50-60mph winds with gusts to the 90‘s, for about 16 hours.

I was lucky never lost power and didn’t have the river (1000ft away) come into my yard.

Have dozens of friends who live 5-6 miles inland who had 2 feet of water in their house. Mind you never even came close to flooding in decades.

The experts are calling it a 200 years flood event.

Watch the news the massive damage from Ft Myers NE to NSB/Daytona area will be shocking.
I feel awful for everyone who's been impacted by this and the other big storms worldwide this season. The pictures I posted above are from Long Island, Bahamas, and what it doesn't show is the fact that all of the vegetation on the island turned brown after the hurricane, and the stench of rot lasted for months. It took about two years for the island to recover its vegetation, and the hurricane didn't even make landfall on the island.

I hope everyone has a quick recovery from this. It's great to see offers of help from those who can (and aren't stopped by customs and shipping regulations).

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel awful for everyone who's been impacted by this and the other big storms worldwide this season. The pictures I posted above are from Long Island, Bahamas, and what it doesn't show is the fact that all of the vegetation on the island turned brown after the hurricane, and the stench of rot lasted for months. It took about two years for the island to recover its vegetation, and the hurricane didn't even make landfall on the island.

I hope everyone has a quick recovery from this. It's great to see offers of help from those who can (and aren't stopped by customs and shipping regulations).
Interesting email from FPL today (that’s the big power company).
The specifically mention that they can’t give timelines for Fort Myers area and Volusia county which is where we live. The toed due to large damage to infrastructure.
Mind you we are 200 miles and of Ft Myers where the storm came in.

I was down on the beach today and have not seen as much beach erosion and damage as I did with this storm, that’s after living here for 51 years and still being an avid surfer.

Charley, Matthew, Irma hot here pretty good but I think this is worse by many factors.
Heard some places got 30-40 inches of rain in 2 days.

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts and prayers go out to folks in harm’s way. Regardless of natural disasters big and small, my perspective is to make sure you and your loved ones are safe. Leave the rest to insurance companies and govt officials to sort out. Life is too precious — that is the most important thing to me.

Speaking of precious, second to making sure your family is safe, is your tank(s) and its inhabitants safe? I believe many Floridians are without power? I hope that people have battery backup / generator to keep the basic life necessities going until power is restored?

Should anyone suffered from a tank loss due to Ian and need some frags to recover, please PM and count me in? As a reefer, I hope that I can contribute to help recover your loss.

Kind regards.
I agree completely. My mother in law lives in Ft. Myers and thankfully she’s been up in Chicago visiting family the past couple of weeks. We’re hoping that her home is not damaged too badly but the most important thing is she’s safe.

My heart breaks for everyone going through this. While hurricanes are an unfortunate part of life on the coast so much is out of our control. I live in Houston and know from experience what it’s like to be displaced from home, having no utilities for over a month and limited access to supplies. It’s a terrible situation that you can only do so much to prepare for.

Last edited:

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanna know where all the fish in Tampa Bay went? Out to Sea? You would like quite a few would get land trapped...

28ian-blog-low-water-tampa-bay2-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg

ALSO....WONDERING if they are finding cars ppl pushed into the Bay. Lol

I saw some walking cats in a parking lot today lol. Despite the hurricane today was thie first day in the mid 60s in like 10 months, well at least til noon

Illstatereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like so many, I have family (my grandmother and grandfather, a Vietnam Veteran and his service dog) that lives on FMB that lost everything except the clothes on their back. Thankfully they are unharmed but the damage is nothing they could prepare enough for. Material items, in time, can be replaced but until then… they are struggling without electricity, food, water, clothes, internet, cell service, all the stuff some of you entitled keyboard tough guys take for granted. That water came in at unimaginable amounts and the winds ranked up near 180mph when the building codes only rate some products up to 180mph and then add a gargantuan ship ramming into what was your home and destroying what little you did have left. That was literally every street in FMB and Marco Island. The storm only moved at 8 mph so it was a brutal beating that doesn’t deserve rude comments. Lives were lost. Anything less than a prayer or kind words, should warrant removal by admins.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back