hydnophora question

Thanatos05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fellow reefer had an ecrusting Hydnophora in his tank that sat about 6 inches below the surface. When he had his actinic lighting turned on, the hydno displayed a fluorescent bright neon green that looked beautiful. When his metal halides were on, it also had some very beautiful neon green coloration to it.

I finally talked him into selling it to me but as always (and like everybody else's story) it does not look anything like it looked at when he had it. I understand that the lighting has alot to do with it but I am not sure that is my problem as the neon green is there.

What I do not understand is why my hydnophora has extensive polyp expansion covering is beautiful green. When it was with the other owner, i never saw these polyps extended at all and as a matter of fact they looked like bumps.

My question related to the polyp expansion in my scenario. I run 3 250W 10K XM SE Metal Halides that are about 9 months old. The corals was also placed at about 6 in from the surface. My water parameter are normal. Is the polyp expansion due to lighting deficiancy requiring replacement? Is it possible that my water may have an irregularity? I also have a large beautiful rainbow monti that is growing very rapidly but does not look like the reefer a got from because the polyps are fully expanded hiding the colors. I am wondering if they are being deprived of something. Maybe the other refers were doing something wrong which is why they may have had polyp contraction.

Any advise will be appreciated.

CHALICEKEEPER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MINE DID THE SAME THING THINK ITS JUST HAPPY NOW. WHEN I FIRST GOT IT
TANKBUDDIES2.jpg
AFTER
STYLOTREE.jpg

Acezwild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is suposed to have a fluffy look. Based on what your saying it sounds like it's doing better in your tank

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people want the polyp extension. I have a piece of plating hydno that looks identical in color to chalice keepers 2nd picture.

Stray32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is fluffy and happy directly in front of my powerhead and at the top of the tank. I definitely think he is happier in your tank than in the other guys

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dito, fluffy and happy. My green and silver hydno both are fluffy like that. When they don't have polyps out its when something happened to them in a bad way.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back