Hydnophora

tidefanjam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know that hydnophoras are very aggressive, my question is are they hardier than acros? i really like the look of them and it seems that they glow really bright under the acintics, are they as bright as they seem in the pics? i have a spot up high in my tank where it will be by itself with high flow and light.any good pics of your hydnos?

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any in my current system but they are an SPS so if you have no issues with acropora then you will likely be fine with the hydro. They like the same conditions in order to thrive.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydnophora is not technically a SPS... it is an LPS very similar to Favites and Pectina. I have found their care requirements to be a lot like Euphyllia and every easy to care for.
Not an SPS?? o_O
That is strange, they have been classified as an SPS as long as I can remember. I even doubted myself and double checked. They are an SPS coral by almost every vendor on the internet, I didn't check them all.:p

Last edited:

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know that hydnophoras are very aggressive, my question is are they hardier than acros? i really like the look of them and it seems that they glow really bright under the acintics, are they as bright as they seem in the pics? i have a spot up high in my tank where it will be by itself with high flow and light.any good pics of your hydnos?
Back in early 2000s, my 90 gallon tank was 1/3 covered by a huge hydnophora. He was very aggressive. But it was extremely interesting watching it go to war every night.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The terms SPS and LPS are mostly used in the aquarium world, so like anything else they say what they want when they post their names online. Which is fine! This is just a hobby!!
Taxonomically, small polyps are recognized for having calice <5mm, like Porites, Acropora and such.
Hydnophora has calice considered small to medium, smaller or equal to 15mm, so they are classified as small to medium.
Hydnophora is closely related to Favites, Leptoria and Platygyra, which are considered LPS, therefore placed in a special spot.
As a hobbyist you can call it whatever you want: SPS or LPS, but they are more close related to a Platygyra or to a Favites than to an Acropora per say.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first coral was a 2 cm Hydnopora frag. My LFS gave it to me when I bought my first live rocks. This was back in 2001. This colony is still alive today, when I sold my tank I moved it to my work(an Aquarium). So at least this individual is very hardy, it has survived some harsh periods :)

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first coral was a 2 cm Hydnopora frag. My LFS gave it to me when I bought my first live rocks. This was back in 2001. This colony is still alive today, when I sold my tank I moved it to my work(an Aquarium). So at least this individual is very hardy, it has survived some harsh periods :)
What species? Pics?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydnophora is easier to care for than even MBP&S and is very aggressive like a pectina or pavona, if you have ever seen these send out sweepers and kill back other coral. It is not much like SPS except that it branches a bit.

I know a lot of people who will never allow them in their tanks again.

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hybhydnophora is growing very nicely. I had them before getting acros but i seem to be doing well with corals overall. I have them in medium-high fliw aswell as light.

Also with my very blue leds, they are extremely brightly green. Really cool coral imo:)

Also i have never seen any aggression/sweeper tentacles? From it.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species? Pics?
Not sure, H. exesa or H. grandis maybe. More beige/white than green.
I haven't been documenting it since it's been in a frag tank at work the last years. Now we've moved it to the a large tank, at the back. I'll see tomorrow at work if I can take a picture:)

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, H. exesa or H. grandis maybe. More beige/white than green.
I haven't been documenting it since it's been in a frag tank at work the last years. Now we've moved it to the a large tank, at the back. I'll see tomorrow at work if I can take a picture:)
I'll be anxiously waiting for the pictures.

Anyone else with nice Hydnophora pics? Please post!

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started off as a tiny frag about 1/4 inch in size. Polyps are extended nicely aswell as it encrusting my lr allready.

6BC247B6-ACE8-4975-8E10-7BD791540FAD.jpeg

OP
OP
tidefanjam

tidefanjam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started off as a tiny frag about 1/4 inch in size. Polyps are extended nicely aswell as it encrusting my lr allready.

6BC247B6-ACE8-4975-8E10-7BD791540FAD.jpeg
Nice, I like how they branch, but you can still get movement from them due to the large polyps

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be anxiously waiting for the pictures.

Anyone else with nice Hydnophora pics? Please post!
Really not the best pictures, the tank is big and the Hydnopora colony is 1,5 meters away from the window:)
But you can see the top of the colony behind the Pavona coral. It's about 30-40 cm high.
IMG_6123.JPG

And this is if you zoom out. The Hydnopora is up in the middle, a bit to the right :)

IMG_6092.JPG

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really not the best pictures, the tank is big and the Hydnopora colony is 1,5 meters away from the window:)
But you can see the top of the colony behind the Pavona coral. It's about 30-40 cm high.
IMG_6123.JPG

And this is if you zoom out. The Hydnopora is up in the middle, a bit to the right :)

IMG_6092.JPG
Thanks!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 30.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back