Hydra LEDs replace / upgrade

Wilsonfeliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks!

I picked up two old AI Hydra 1st Gen recently for cheap because Royal Blue channel doesnt work, so I decided to find out if I could repair it.
After several tests, find that the problem is the burned out LED, so I have to replace them.

I will need some XT-E Royal Blue LEDs, where can i buy it?
Must i use the same XT-E LED or could i use an XP-G2 or other compatible LED??

leds.JPG

Also, I've read that is possible upgrade the old LEDs, which ones can i upgrade?

Thanks in advance!

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google honestly. I know steves LEDs still sells, I'm not sure who else does as it's been a good 5 years now since I built my fuge light. I'd honestly be surprised if they aren't all over Amazon at this point.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, I don't think you'll be able to find a store that specifically states their LEDs are replacements for the AI Hydra. What you should be able to do though is find LEDs with the same current ratings and make sure you keep them on the same channels. So you could possibly replace like 1/4 of the cool whites with warm whites....etc. Again you just need to match current.

OP
OP
Wilsonfeliz

Wilsonfeliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, I don't think you'll be able to find a store that specifically states their LEDs are replacements for the AI Hydra. What you should be able to do though is find LEDs with the same current ratings and make sure you keep them on the same channels. So you could possibly replace like 1/4 of the cool whites with warm whites....etc. Again you just need to match current.

Thank you very much!

OP
OP
Wilsonfeliz

Wilsonfeliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RapidLed has diodes and supplies.

I’d use a DMM with a diode tester to find the bad diode, carefully desolder, replace with new diode.

I'll try!
How you desolder the old LED, by heating the entire puck, with a heat gun, soldering iron??

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try!
How you desolder the old LED, by heating the entire puck, with a heat gun, soldering iron??

I’d probably try a temperature controlled iron. If you haven’t used a soldering iron before, watch some videos in YouTube. Go slow and be careful. If it isn’t done right, it won’t work for long.

Edit: Get some desoldering braid, to be used with the iron. It’ll help remove the old solder, cleanly. You’ll also want a soldering sponge.

OP
OP
Wilsonfeliz

Wilsonfeliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d probably try a temperature controlled iron. If you haven’t used a soldering iron before, watch some videos in YouTube. Go slow and be careful. If it isn’t done right, it won’t work for long.

Edit: Get some desoldering braid, to be used with the iron. It’ll help remove the old solder, cleanly. You’ll also want a soldering sponge.

Nice! Thanks

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d get a few cheap ones and practice soldering on them. Surface mount takes some practice. Too much heat will damage the diode. Watch some YouTube videos to see how to properly do it.

OP
OP
Wilsonfeliz

Wilsonfeliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d get a few cheap ones and practice soldering on them. Surface mount takes some practice. Too much heat will damage the diode. Watch some YouTube videos to see how to properly do it.

Luckily i have a friend who is an expert in micro soldering, he will do the work for me. ;)

Quinton Moore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this end up working out for you? My royal blue diodes are out too, found replacements online for $1-2 each.

Back