Hydroids?

jonesdeini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from what I gathered from other posts around it here it seems like these are hydroids, but I couldn't find much more information other than the fleshy white type of hydroids seem to go away on their own. If anyone knows the proper name or has more information I'd really appreciate it.

I'm not sure how well the video will upload here(it wasn't the greatest video to begin with), so here is the video shared in google photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/PoNEutK169YACfRLA

Attachments

• PXL_20220126_215730579.mp4
    66.8 MB
OP
OP
jonesdeini

jonesdeini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just get audio when I try to watch the video.
The google photos link works but I only get audio as well for the upload here .

Here are some pictures:

1643408915657.png
1643408946634.png

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much better pics! Those are not digitate hydroids and they don't look like colonial hydroids. Let's hope someone here can ID these critters.

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup hydroids. This particular type grew like crazy in one of my tanks, I had to go through 2 cycles of fenbendazole to kill them all off. If you go this route, be careful to research because it kills a few corals. I lost a toadstool leather.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup hydroids. This particular type grew like crazy in one of my tanks, I had to go through 2 cycles of fenbendazole to kill them all off. If you go this route, be careful to research because it kills a few corals. I lost a toadstool leather.
That's shocking honestly I have some growing in the branches of a leather which is completely healthy and some zoas slowly growing over another patch of them. Did you lose the leather before or after dosing?

In fact I'm reading through this page and it seems lots of people are concluding the medication doesn't really work and it's killing their coral and snails.

Hydroids are filter feeders, they can't survive if you don't overfeed. That's how you control them. Since they don't do any damage in my tank I don't care.

Last edited:

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from what I gathered from other posts around it here it seems like these are hydroids, but I couldn't find much more information other than the fleshy white type of hydroids seem to go away on their own. If anyone knows the proper name or has more information I'd really appreciate it.

I'm not sure how well the video will upload here(it wasn't the greatest video to begin with), so here is the video shared in google photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/PoNEutK169YACfRLA
If you want em out use a toothbrush or just glue a rock over them.

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's shocking honestly I have some growing in the branches of a leather which is completely healthy and some zoas slowly growing over another patch of them. Did you lose the leather before or after dosing?

In fact I'm reading through this page and it seems lots of people are concluding the medication doesn't really work and it's killing their coral and snails.

Hydroids are filter feeders, they can't survive if you don't overfeed. That's how you control them. Since they don't do any damage in my tank I don't care.
They exploded in my tank with low nutrients and only 2 fish, I'd say it's just different for every tank, and this particular species spread extremely fast, while other hydroids I had for years never spread at all. They were stinging corals and causing them to close up. The medication worked great for me.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They exploded in my tank with low nutrients and only 2 fish, I'd say it's just different for every tank, and this particular species spread extremely fast, while other hydroids I had for years never spread at all. They were stinging corals and causing them to close up. The medication worked great for me.
Good to hear that method worked for you. I think OP can still just smother these as they are a small patch that seems easy to reach.

OP
OP
jonesdeini

jonesdeini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear that method worked for you. I think OP can still just smother these as they are a small patch that seems easy to reach.
I have more than just that patch, they are on almost every rock. I am curious how I ended up with them since I remove every frag from the plug it comes on and glue to a fresh piece of rubble(I also dip but I'm sure this is the type of hitchhiker that can survive dip). I also started with dry rock. I'm not against taking the rocks out and hitting them with a toothbrush but I'd like to know more about what these are and how I got them with my current method of introducing frags into my system. When I Google "hydroids" I don't get great results

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have more than just that patch, they are on almost every rock. I am curious how I ended up with them since I remove every frag from the plug it comes on and glue to a fresh piece of rubble(I also dip but I'm sure this is the type of hitchhiker that can survive dip). I also started with dry rock. I'm not against taking the rocks out and hitting them with a toothbrush but I'd like to know more about what these are and how I got them with my current method of introducing frags into my system. When I Google "hydroids" I don't get great results
I think many have a free swimming stage that would allow them to come in water from a bag. They could also have been microscopic on the tiniest piece of frag plug left over.

OP
OP
jonesdeini

jonesdeini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
circling back incase others find this post by searching; they seem to have largely just gone away. The only thing I've done differently is less phytoplankton because I ran out. Still feeding reef roids, goniopower, and the small particles that come with thawing PE Mysis 1-2x week. 1 This is the same rock from the above pictures
1644357512186.png
1644357679255.png

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sometimes they just disappear. The conventional wisdom on them is usually that they are a "new tan" thing when you use live rock. Although my experience is the opposite, maybe they were only eating phyto.

Back