Hydros AWC

kmarine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to add an AWC system to my new tank using a controller and am having the age old debate of hydros vs. apex. Currently Im more interested in hydros overall as a controller system but it seems that more people use apex with DOS for AWC. Does anyone have opinions on using hydros with their AWC set up?

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are multiple ways you can do a water change with Hydros. Personally, I purchased a Stenner dual head pump and set it up as a simple doser. It changes. 4L a day. This was very simple and easy. I prefer the dual head pump method.

You could do the same thing with 2 dosing pumps that are calibrated and remove equal amounts each day.

There is also a preset in Hydros for using 2 pumps and level sensors. You can go this route too if you like but I like the simplicity of the dual head pump.

OP
OP
K

kmarine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are multiple ways you can do a water change with Hydros. Personally, I purchased a Stenner dual head pump and set it up as a simple doser. It changes. 4L a day. This was very simple and easy. I prefer the dual head pump method.

You could do the same thing with 2 dosing pumps that are calibrated and remove equal amounts each day.

There is also a preset in Hydros for using 2 pumps and level sensors. You can go this route too if you like but I like the simplicity of the dual head pump.
Thanks! That sounds like a good idea. can you explain how the dual head method works? Just want to make sure I understand how it works.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a 230gal set up so thinking around 3-4 gallons per day
I use the 2 dosing pumps on the Minnow on mine but the most I have done in a day is 1 1/2 gallons and that is split into 4 times a day I also have a alkalinity test done 4 times a day and also dose All For Reef and a KH buffer 4 times a day. So I have them scheduled for the alkalinity test then the water change an hour later, then the All for Reef and hour after the water change. I then do the KH buffer 30 minutes after the all for reef. The Minnow pumps are smart dosers and have to use a dosing schedule currently. So I setup a dosing schedule for them and use another output that uses the drain and fill pump outputs as inputs and that is used in the depends on statement of the ATO to keep the ATO off when the drain or fill pump are on. The Minnow pumps have three speeds 25, 40 and 55ml a minute in either direction. To go in reverse you would need to add a - sign in front of the speed you select. I can post screenshots of the settings for this if you want to use smart dosers to do this. There are dosing pump that will run on 12v that you can set up to run when powered. Those you can use with the built in AWC regimen on the Hydros if you also setup your ATO in that output which would require the Hydros to be the ATO also.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dual head pump is two peristaltic pumps that use a single motor and shaft. This is great because they always spin at the same speed and you don't have to worry about the pumps losing calibration because if they speed up or slow down they will speed up or slow down equally.

One of the pumps draws water from your saltwater container and pumps it into the tank and one pump draws water from the aquarium and pumps it down the drain. Once the lines are run any time the pump is turned on it starts changing water. You then add the pump as a simple doser. Tell hydros the speed and you can create a schedule where the pump automatically changes water each day.

OP
OP
K

kmarine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dual head pump is two peristaltic pumps that use a single motor and shaft. This is great because they always spin at the same speed and you don't have to worry about the pumps losing calibration because if they speed up or slow down they will speed up or slow down equally.

One of the pumps draws water from your saltwater container and pumps it into the tank and one pump draws water from the aquarium and pumps it down the drain. Once the lines are run any time the pump is turned on it starts changing water. You then add the pump as a simple doser. Tell hydros the speed and you can create a schedule where the pump automatically changes water each day.

Thanks! Seems pretty simple. I’ll be going this direction I think!

OP
OP
K

kmarine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the 2 dosing pumps on the Minnow on mine but the most I have done in a day is 1 1/2 gallons and that is split into 4 times a day I also have a alkalinity test done 4 times a day and also dose All For Reef and a KH buffer 4 times a day. So I have them scheduled for the alkalinity test then the water change an hour later, then the All for Reef and hour after the water change. I then do the KH buffer 30 minutes after the all for reef. The Minnow pumps are smart dosers and have to use a dosing schedule currently. So I setup a dosing schedule for them and use another output that uses the drain and fill pump outputs as inputs and that is used in the depends on statement of the ATO to keep the ATO off when the drain or fill pump are on. The Minnow pumps have three speeds 25, 40 and 55ml a minute in either direction. To go in reverse you would need to add a - sign in front of the speed you select. I can post screenshots of the settings for this if you want to use smart dosers to do this. There are dosing pump that will run on 12v that you can set up to run when powered. Those you can use with the built in AWC regimen on the Hydros if you also setup your ATO in that output which would require the Hydros to be the ATO also.
Thank you! I think I’ll try out the stenner pump for a faster change

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You were able to setup the stennwr pump in hydros a simple doser and actually have schedules for it? Or just have it dependent on level sensors and sorts? Meaning you can’t change the volume of the water change via Hydros right?

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also use a dual head Stenner on Hydros. I just run it on a regular outlet timer for 42 minutes a day to change 2 gallons.

The heads do not pump exactly the same rate. My fill head pumps 20% slower, so I mix the salt 20% stronger. This also means I mix salt 20% less often. :)

Gellisjr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an XP8 in my collective that controls two Kamoer KCPA600 variable speed dosing pumps. They can be purchased on Amazon for $70 ea. One is for draining & one is for filling. I also use a third Kamoer dosing pump as my ATO pump. I have a mixing station in my basement. The Kamoer pump draws fresh water from my RO/DI storage container that Hydros also controls my RO/DI to refill the storage container as needed.

Back