Hydros or neptune

Tactical Reefkeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have to go up to Puerto Rico and right now all I have on my tank is a INKBIRD camera and that it and it is only a 30 display with a sump and I am trying to find what is the best bag for buck. Thanks

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh man get ready for some strong opinions! Lol. Ignore anybody who sounds like they have an axe to grind ;)

I use Neptune. I like it, but it’s not perfect. Nothing is. And arguably it’s lower quality than it used to be. I have only had a couple of issues (network related) and Neptune support was really good.

I have no experience with Hydros but it seems like those who have it like it.

Whichever you go with, do the research well in advance to know what kinds of issues you MIGHT have with either platform, and account for that in your system design.

Also, set it up WELL in advance so you can get to know the system and work out any kinks.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, there are likely strong opinions coming. Me personally, I use an Apex but that’s just what came with the tank and it works for my needs. Ive also seen Apex used at public aquariums (Virginia Aquarium). I’ve also seen the hydros interface and I like the look better but for me if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, so I’m sticking with my Apex. At the same time, for me, I could probably get by without a controller and still be satisfied. As reccomended, definitely do research on what you think will work best for you or what “features” come with each package

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh man get ready for some strong opinions! Lol. Ignore anybody who sounds like they have an axe to grind ;)

I use Neptune. I like it, but it’s not perfect. Nothing is. And arguably it’s lower quality than it used to be. I have only had a couple of issues (network related) and Neptune support was really good.

I have no experience with Hydros but it seems like those who have it like it.

Whichever you go with, do the research well in advance to know what kinds of issues you MIGHT have with either platform, and account for that in your system design.

Also, set it up WELL in advance so you can get to know the system and work out any kinks.

I should add… some of Neptune’s equipment is better than others. Their AFS sucks. Their flow meters suck. Their newer EB832s are good but there was a stretch where they used a really crappy part and a lot of people had problems. They swapped it out and they’re much more reliable now.

Read reviews, but don’t pay as much attention to YouTube influencer reviews.

Tray21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have either... just here to see the strong opinions! :squinting-face-with-tongue:
Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have to go up to Puerto Rico and right now all I have on my tank is a INKBIRD camera and that it and it is only a 30 display with a sump and I am trying to find what is the best bag for buck. Thanks.
I use apex but only because that's all there really was after reef keeper (which was good)IMO. like others nothing is perfect but apex is tried and true. however I am starting to dabble with hydros and I do like it. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

OP
OP
Tactical Reefkeeping

Tactical Reefkeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks everyone for the information I like Neptune I heard a lot about them and seen them on in public places like your said but I just do not like the price tag for apex and hydros is cheaper and it is also newer so not a lot of people know about it and if you said I was going to get a apex should I get the junior or the the one above it thanks.

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks everyone for the information I like Neptune I heard a lot about them and seen them on in public places like your said but I just do not like the price tag for apex and hydros is cheaper and it is also newer so not a lot of people know about it and if you said I was going to get a apex should I get the junior or the the one above it thanks.
depends on your budget, you can expand over time. the only thing I don't like about the junior is no ethernet connection. im a fan of the wired connection.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't go wrong with either one. I went for the regular A3 Apex after going back and forth over the Jr and Hydros. The extra $200 up front was well worth it instead of having to buy additional modules/energy bars in the future. One of my main reasons for picking the Apex over the Hydros was how it looks, I know that is silly, but I don't like the look of the connectors coming straight out of the controller.

One thing I did was add everything up on a spreadsheet so I could see the costs side by side for all the options I thought I would want within the next year. This was helpful in deciding as well.

Also to note, I filled up at least 6 of the outlets right off the bat. I plugged in things that have their own controller so I can turn everything off at once for maintenance or through the app. Having to buy an extra energy bar for the Jr or the starter Hydros would put you over the cost of the A3 or X3 Pro.

Last edited:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depends on what you want and need. Make a detailed list of what you want the controller to do and then see which fits your priorities and budget.

I’ve used both. Spent way too much money just to test each out. After 4 failed WiFi power bars, 2 failed XP8s, horrible WiFi connection, and a slew of other issues I ditched the Hydros and don’t miss it at all.

For a 30 gallon, you likely only need an Apex Jr and grab and EB4 so you can control a few things. Easy and simple.

OP
OP
Tactical Reefkeeping

Tactical Reefkeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you everyone for the information and they both let you connect when you are out of the house or you have to go a level up from the junior apex to have wifi

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had my neptune jr for along time and like it . i have a hydros and really like it i have it running pumps and stuff but i dont trust it running heaters and my calcium reater . i have my calcium reactor running off my neptune jr so i think they have there positives and nagetives . the hydros is really easy to setup only thing i dont like about neptune is the coding part

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dodge or Ford? Cat or dog? Potato or potato? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
At least here in the UK we dont really have much choice..

Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hydros system. I really like it a lot. I had a Archon before getting the Hydros. So far I have been able to do all I was doing with the Archon and more. I have a fairly complex system with the RODI and mixing station automated. I also do AWC, ATO, dosing and Alkalinity testing with the Hydros along with the usual other things. I currently have 14 controllers in my collective along with 4 wifi strips and a wifi feeder. I started using it right after it came out over 3 years ago. So far I have not had any failures where I had to replace a controller or wifi device. I have 56 inputs setup and 130 outputs setup in the collective. So it is rather large but the Archon it replaced was also.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m fairly new to controllers but I went with hydros. I really like it. It might be cheaper depending on what you want. But it can add up quickly if you start building out a collective. For example every hydros piece can be a controller. If you have more than one, you combine them to be a collective. So if one goes bad you can still control the tank. Mainly what you’re looking for in a hydros selection is what you require of it.
sense ports will be things like temp, water sensors and such. Probe ports are ph and etc. wave engine can eliminate some controllers and power bricks and plugs for wave makers. So in a nutshell you pick the modelthat gives you what you want. If all you need is a power bar for example, you can choose an XP8 only, and it will give you 8 plug ins but the cool thing is that you can control the plugs based on items plugged into it.
Either way you go, I think you’ll find a controller to be pretty handy!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back