Hydros Power Outage Mode - Would it work?

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have been looking at various controllers to see what they can and can't do. One thing I have recently seen, for the GHL Profilux 4, is a 12v power adapter that is specifically used to trigger a 'power outage' mode.

I was looking to see if Hydros has anything similar but I couldn't see anything. I then started wondering about the inputs (sense and/or 0-10v) that could be used to switch modes.

I then looked around online and found this

51RYb+a+ayL._AC_SX466_.jpg

The idea is that you have the Hydros and WiFi power strip (and presumably the router?) plugged in to a UPS. The device above is plugged in to an outlet that will fail when the power goes out. The relay output is wired into a Hydros Sense port (effectively now acting like any normal switch, but one that is triggered by a power outage).

If the power fails, the controller and power strip will stay online, supplied by the UPS, but it will 'Sense' that the power has failed and a pre-programmed mode could be used to turn on/off outlets/devices to the users preference, in case the power doesn't come back on again.

Would it work?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so
I believe you would have to use a 0-10 volt input to initiate a mode switch.

A Mode can be activated using two different methods:

1. Manually through the app’s STATUS screen. Meaning you do it.
  2. Enabling the “MODE CONTROL INPUT” on the options screen and using a 0-10v connection from a 3rd party controller

Add 0-10V Input​

0-10V Inputs are an incredibly versatile feature on the HYDROS Control. They allow you to add inputs that provide the control information which the HYDROS Control can act upon. The type of 0-10V Inputs you can add are:

1. Simple Analog – these are your simple run-of-the-mill sensors such as a magnetic float switch, a door magnetic sensor, buttons, and switches.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also this is built into the waveengine if you use the Ice Cap V3 battery badkup with the cable assy for the wave engine. It will also power the control devices that are within range of using the regular buss cables. The wave engine normally runs at 24v but the backup is 12v. That triggers the low power mode if you set it up. I believe both wave engines will do this. Also one you setup a low power mode if you don't have the wave engine you can use a 0-10v input to trigger it.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back