Hydros Power Strip not responding.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From what I've heard, there is another wired power option in the works?

You can't compare the XP8 to GHL or Neptune power bars in all reality. Per outlet, the GHL is the most expensive out there but likely the best built. It has no true control to it.

The EB832 is cheap with mediocre reviews. Let's pray BRS and Neptune are fixing that mess.

The XP8 is closer to the old Apex Jr which only had 4 outlets and no power monitoring, but was a controller with outlets. The Apex Jr could do a few more things but I think it was $280 when it was discontinued?

I've personally never found a time I was complaining about too many outlets with my tanks.

I'm excited to try the XP8 when it comes out. Apex and Hydros will be running my new tank. It gives me good insight on both without being too biased one way or the other

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That helps :)

I was looking for the schedules in the schedules menu ;)
The schedules you were looking at came about when they integrated the WaveEngine into the collective. They have moved lighting and dosing to those schedules. They may move more over as time goes on. I was into the Hydros before the WaveEngine integration so I was aware of how to setup repeated schedules on the generic output. It is kind of hidden unless you are aware of it.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of the XP8 CoralVue bought their own machine for populating their PC boards. The XP 8 looks like the first to have it's PCB done in house. Here it is

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...The XP8 is closer to the old Apex Jr which only had 4 outlets and no power monitoring, but was a controller with outlets. The Apex Jr could do a few more things but I think it was $280 when it was discontinued?...
Close, but it doesn't have any sense ports. You still need to add another control module to it.

I'm guessing they went with 8 outlets since Apex has 8 outlets, but I think a 6 outlet with a couple of sense ports would have been ideal.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Close, but it doesn't have any sense ports. You still need to add another control module to it.

I'm guessing they went with 8 outlets since Apex has 8 outlets, but I think a 6 outlet with a couple of sense ports would have been ideal.
Most people using it would need more than a couple of sense ports. I have 5 outlets in use on a beta unit and use 5 sense ports for those 5 outlets and one of the outlets uses no sense ports and 2 outlets use the same one. Currently on my setup I have 18 sense ports in use. I have 28 output ports in use including the wifi power strips.

OP
OP
F

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just because that is your setup doesn’t mean that ‘most people’ will do the same as you.

Just a single sense port (for temperature) would make it much more capable of operating standalone; 2 would be even better. As it is, its pretty much useless without an additional controller.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because that is your setup doesn’t mean that ‘most people’ will do the same as you.

Just a single sense port (for temperature) would make it much more capable of operating standalone; 2 would be even better. As it is, its pretty much useless without an additional controller.
I would not run the return without a way to turn it off if there is a leak. I would not run a skimmer without two things a way to turn it off if the skimmer is full and if the sump level is too high. Also I turn off the skimmer if there is a leak since the waste is stored outside the skimmer. The temp sensor would make 4 that would be a must. The other a low sump level is optional. Sounds like a XS paired with it would be good for a minimum. They do have it paired with either the X4 or X3 in pro packs. Those come with a buss cable, terminator, temp sensor and pH probe. Then again I did pay $120 for PC4's and PB4's without any inputs or individual output power monitoring and only 4 outlets. That was several years ago. I think I have 8 of those things. So to me the $279 price is not off at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I run a XS with just a temp sensor and a leak sensor; I don't have a skimmer. I have 2 spare unused sense ports. I'm not saying what you are doing is wrong, but it doesn't mean everyone has the same requirements or has to do the same. Skimmer sensors might be nice, but they aren't essential to the same extent temperature monitoring is (IMO).

This has been Coralvue's downfall from the start as far as I am concerned. They can't accept that anyone wants something different to what they think the consumer should have, and they can't take constructive criticism.

This is what almost prevented me from buying a Hydros in the first place, and what may well be a factor in me switching back to a different product.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a XS with just a temp sensor and a leak sensor; I don't have a skimmer. I have 2 spare unused sense ports. I'm not saying what you are doing is wrong, but it doesn't mean everyone has the same requirements or has to do the same. Skimmer sensors might be nice, but they aren't essential to the same extent temperature monitoring is (IMO).

This has been Coralvue's downfall from the start as far as I am concerned. They can't accept that anyone wants something different to what they think the consumer should have, and they can't take constructive criticism.

This is what almost prevented me from buying a Hydros in the first place, and what may well be a factor in me switching back to a different product.
I agree that temp control is most important in most cases as far as making sure you do not overheat your tank. I am not as worried about it getting too cool. It got down to just below 70 last year during the rolling blackouts. Luckily I didn't loose anything. I had a tank setup in the 90's and didn't even have a heater. It was FOWLR tank. It was a 110 gallon tank. Our house has central air and heating so it stayed well within the temp range without any heaters. This time I have a 42 gallon setup and decided to use some heating since it is a smaller tank and I was going to have corals. My cooling fans run a lot more than the heaters. On the tank I had setup in the 90's leaks in equipment was what I had the most issues with. So I paid a lot attention to that when I built the stand and canopy for the 42 gallon tank since that was my biggest issue before.

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of the XP8 CoralVue bought their own machine for populating their PC boards. The XP 8 looks like the first to have it's PCB done in house. Here it is

I do believe GHL has all there PCB's for all there products done in-house. I know they do for there Profilux and dosers. And I would figure this extends to there other product as well.

It is fantastic to see a company with such reasonably priced control products producing them within North America.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people using it would need more than a couple of sense ports. I have 5 outlets in use on a beta unit and use 5 sense ports for those 5 outlets and one of the outlets uses no sense ports and 2 outlets use the same one. Currently on my setup I have 18 sense ports in use. I have 28 output ports in use including the wifi power strips.
Right now on my tank all I'm using is temperature and pH. I have a level sensor, but it quit working some time ago. So all I would "need" is two sense ports. I would probably just use temperature and level/leak. Skip the pH, as I really haven't been paying attention to it for the past few months.

If one needs more ports, then add one of the other control modules at that point. In my case, I also use 0-10V for control of my XHOs. So there's that.

I'm using 8 controlled outlets, but not all would need to be on an XP8. A couple would be just fine on a WIFI strip.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%

Back