I’m so new, I don’t know what I don’t know!

drino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But at least I’m smart enough to join this forum and I’ve been lurking, reading, digesting and learning. But I still have a long way to go! I’ve had freshwater tropical tanks before, but this would be my first salt. I’m thinking I’ll start nice and slow with a FOWLR (maybe a couple of clowns to start after the tank has cycled) and gradually move to my goal - a reef tank. I found a local person selling their 100G tank, stand, sump, skimmer, heater, pumps, lights plus their living rock and sand. $400. They bought a bigger tank. I read the amazingly helpful Supreme Guide to Setting up a Saltwater Reef Aquarium. It really made me feel like I can DO this. The initial cycle actually sounds fascinating! If I get this tank setup, I’d install a RO system in my laundry, and add a ATO and timers to the tank, but I think it’s pretty much ready to go.
  • Do I need to cleanse the rock/sand, or will cycling it be good enough? How do I know there aren’t bad bugs, worms, parasites in this substrate?
  • I’m also wondering about the sump/Refugium setup. If I have live rock rubble and sand, protein skimmer and chaeto- do I need other filtration, e.g., carbon? I think no?
  • When cycling a new tank, when do I add chaeto to the refugium? Thinking after the tank has cycled?
  • Are initial biological additives necessary (I read mixed reviews about their efficacy)? If so, which should I use?
  • Is it hard to change from FOWLR to reef, if I have appropriate lights for coral and wave pumps/water movement? Is it as simple as gradually adding an appropriate ‘beginner’ coral? Am I being naive? How do you QT coral? Yikes! See, I don’t know what I don’t know!
I wondered if folks have some advice or links to other articles/threads for me? And I wanted to say the members here are all so patient and helpful with us newbies, it’s appreciated!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

1) I would not cleanse
2) Carbon isn’t bad as long as it’s not dusty (causes HLLe) — it’s good for buffering in case of contaminants
3) Chaeto after cycle it needs dirtier water, as it feeds on the “nasties” in the water.
4) BioSpira and Dr Tim’s are my go-to for bacteria additives!
5) Nope

Keep us posted with your build with lots of photos! :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
There aren't generally hitchhikers in live sand, more commonly live rock. And most are good although there are a few bad. Dont add chaeto or macroalgae until after your cycle has completed. Dr Tim's works great for a bacteria source, but you'll also want an ammonia source for it to feed and populate. Most commonly a piece of raw shrimp from your local grocerie store gets the job done ;) or dr Tim's ammonium chloride as its easier to test when your cycle is done
Changing over from fowlr to reef can be very simple depended on the prep work involved. If you have the lighting and the pumps already its jo bug deal. The biggest part of it is ensuring your water is good quality by starting out from the gate with RO/DI water.
Hope this helps and lots more of the friendly users on here will chime in with info for you :)
tenor.gif
#welcometoR2R

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Drino, Sounds like You have done some serious research ! Keep in mind you will get a"lot" of differing opinions. Try not to get caught up in it all .Make note of the ones that make sense to you.
If all works out,let us know what type of equipment (make & size etc) & we love pics ! You gonna have fun !

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R @drino

I would probably just use new sand if you're going to use real live rock. If you do use the old sand, the main reason would be for valuable hitch hikers like bristle worms, etc. You would have plenty of bacteria from the live rock. Bacterial additives can both speed the cycling process and maybe add some biodiversity. If you are patient though you can cycle a tank with dry rock and no additives.

The only difference between a FOWLR and a reef is ....well ...corals. The hard part is waiting until your water quality is good and stable.

For QTing coral you "just" need a small, cycled tank with appropriate lighting, flow and filtration. Dip all corals (do some more research, there are several options on what to use and how to use it).

Above all continue your research and plan each addition. Impulse buys rarely turn out well. Plan to add fish and coral that are compatible with each other!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But at least I’m smart enough to join this forum and I’ve been lurking, reading, digesting and learning. But I still have a long way to go! I’ve had freshwater tropical tanks before, but this would be my first salt. I’m thinking I’ll start nice and slow with a FOWLR (maybe a couple of clowns to start after the tank has cycled) and gradually move to my goal - a reef tank. I found a local person selling their 100G tank, stand, sump, skimmer, heater, pumps, lights plus their living rock and sand. $400. They bought a bigger tank. I read the amazingly helpful Supreme Guide to Setting up a Saltwater Reef Aquarium. It really made me feel like I can DO this. The initial cycle actually sounds fascinating! If I get this tank setup, I’d install a RO system in my laundry, and add a ATO and timers to the tank, but I think it’s pretty much ready to go.
  • Do I need to cleanse the rock/sand, or will cycling it be good enough? How do I know there aren’t bad bugs, worms, parasites in this substrate?
  • I’m also wondering about the sump/Refugium setup. If I have live rock rubble and sand, protein skimmer and chaeto- do I need other filtration, e.g., carbon? I think no?
  • When cycling a new tank, when do I add chaeto to the refugium? Thinking after the tank has cycled?
  • Are initial biological additives necessary (I read mixed reviews about their efficacy)? If so, which should I use?
  • Is it hard to change from FOWLR to reef, if I have appropriate lights for coral and wave pumps/water movement? Is it as simple as gradually adding an appropriate ‘beginner’ coral? Am I being naive? How do you QT coral? Yikes! See, I don’t know what I don’t know!
I wondered if folks have some advice or links to other articles/threads for me? And I wanted to say the members here are all so patient and helpful with us newbies, it’s appreciated!

Wow, what a mermaid. I bet your married to Aquaman. Heehee.

OP
OP
drino

drino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
There aren't generally hitchhikers in live sand, more commonly live rock. And most are good although there are a few bad. Dont add chaeto or macroalgae until after your cycle has completed. Dr Tim's works great for a bacteria source, but you'll also want an ammonia source for it to feed and populate. Most commonly a piece of raw shrimp from your local grocerie store gets the job done ;) or dr Tim's ammonium chloride as its easier to test when your cycle is done
Changing over from fowlr to reef can be very simple depended on the prep work involved. If you have the lighting and the pumps already its jo bug deal. The biggest part of it is ensuring your water is good quality by starting out from the gate with RO/DI water.
Hope this helps and lots more of the friendly users on here will chime in with info for you :)
tenor.gif
#welcometoR2R

Thank you so much! Appreciate the advice!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back