I cannot figure out what is wrong!

wncnewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m at a loss. My 2 clowns and 6 line wrasse have been losing energy the last few days and eating less and breathing very heavy. The clowns I’ve had 4 months the wrasse 2 months and things had previously gone very well. I just found one of the clowns dead. Yesterdays test results as follows
0 NH3
0 N02
40 N03 (high)
7.8 PH (low)
.02 phosphate
.200 magnesium
8.1 alkalinity
400 calcium
79 temp
.0124 salinity
Tank is 5 months old. Feed frozen misis, ATO pellets, flakes, roe. Dose phyto daily.
Are these numbers bad enough to kill?
The only new addition was a torch a few days ago. I dipped coral in Revive. I’m not sure what to do now. I fear the other two fish will go soon. All snails hermits and shrimp are fine and other corals (zoas and Gsp) are fine. Any ideas?

Attachments

• output.mov
    69.7 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’m at a loss. My 2 clowns and 6 line wrasse have been losing energy the last few days and eating less and breathing very heavy. The clowns I’ve had 4 months the wrasse 2 months and things had previously gone very well. I just found one of the clowns dead. Yesterdays test results as follows
0 NH3
0 N02
40 N03 (high)
7.8 PH (low)
.02 phosphate
.200 magnesium
8.1 alkalinity
400 calcium
79 temp
.0124 salinity
Tank is 5 months old. Feed frozen misis, ATO pellets, flakes, roe. Dose phyto daily.
The only new addition was a torch a few days ago. I dipped coral in Revive. I’m not sure what to do now. I fear the other two fish will go soon. All snails hermits and shrimp are fine and other corals (zoas and Gsp) are fine. Any ideas?
Looking at your numbers, assuming they are accurate, they are not deadly but pointing to oxygen, what type of tank is this and what filters are you using?
I am suspecting low dissolved oxygen and possible false ammonia reading - again possible.
If overfeeding can be a contributor. If not running airstone, add one and even do a water change.
Are you using RODI water or tap water from faucet ?

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 NH3
0 N02
40 N03 (high)
7.8 PH (low)
.02 phosphate
.200 magnesium
8.1 alkalinity
400 calcium
79 temp
.0124 salinity
You used Revive - I have heard many bad experiences and some good. I would add activated charcoal ?

With the Zoe's you will need it !

Probably happens !

OP
OP
wncnewbie

wncnewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your numbers, assuming they are accurate, they are not deadly but pointing to oxygen, what type of tank is this and what filters are you using?
I am suspecting low dissolved oxygen and possible false ammonia reading - again possible.
If overfeeding can be a contributor. If not running airstone, add one and even do a water change.
Are you using RODI water or tap water from faucet ?
It’s a waterbox 20g with a media basket filter floss, carbon skimmer with a wave maker. I use RODI from LFS for top off

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 NH3
0 N02
40 N03 (high)
7.8 PH (low)
.02 phosphate
.200 magnesium
8.1 alkalinity
400 calcium
79 temp
.0124 salinity

If the corals and invertebrates are doing well, and the tank is well aerated, this virtually always points to a fish disease.

In this case, the rapid breathing and sudden onset points to velvet (Amyloodinium). I'm sorry, but there is no treatment for this in a tank with invertebrates, you would need to have a treatment tank that could be used and dosed with copper. Another issue is that velvet kills so quickly, that once fish loss begins, treatments are usually not fast enough to stop the progression.....sorry!

As a "last ditch" effort, to buy you some time, you could try a 30 minute dip in 150 ppm household hydrogen peroxide. You would add 19 ml of 3% peroxide to one gallon of tank water, and put the clown and wrasse in it for 30 minutes. Trouble is, the fish will just get infected again when you return them to the tank, but it may buy you some time.

Jay

OP
OP
wncnewbie

wncnewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the corals and invertebrates are doing well, and the tank is well aerated, this virtually always points to a fish disease.

In this case, the rapid breathing and sudden onset points to velvet (Amyloodinium). I'm sorry, but there is no treatment for this in a tank with invertebrates, you would need to have a treatment tank that could be used and dosed with copper. Another issue is that velvet kills so quickly, that once fish loss begins, treatments are usually not fast enough to stop the progression.....sorry!

As a "last ditch" effort, to buy you some time, you could try a 30 minute dip in 150 ppm household hydrogen peroxide. You would add 19 ml of 3% peroxide to one gallon of tank water, and put the clown and wrasse in it for 30 minutes. Trouble is, the fish will just get infected again when you return them to the tank, but it may buy you some time.

Jay
The wrasse didn’t make it through the night. Could it have come in on the coral?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the coral + fish bought and installed without disease preps/ fallow and qt

Stocking the tank in this order would have likely prevented the issue, as well as fallow prep for all future additions/new corals:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse didn’t make it through the night. Could it have come in on the coral?

Yes - it may have arrived with the coral. In other cases, fish diseases can simmer along in a chronic fashion until the move into an acute phase for some reason.

Jay

OP
OP
wncnewbie

wncnewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the coral + fish bought and installed without disease preps/ fallow and qt

Stocking the tank in this order would have likely prevented the issue, as well as fallow prep for all future additions/new corals:
This is now the plan. I like that approach a lot!

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 55 47.0%
  • Full frame

Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 44 37.6%
  • All of the above

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back