I cant do this anymore.

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
long story short, waterbox sent me a defective plumbing for my waterbox tank. They drilled the holes for the plumbing too close to the overflow box. So water comes straight from the overflow box to the emergency pipe. Also the emergency pipe is too short i can add a 40mm coupler on top it and it would still fit. Im beyond annoyed to be honest.

For 3 weeks iv been battling the gate valve, thinking im the issue, but i am not. I cant wrap my head around it, how i can fix it. I added a 40mm metric coupler to it. It fixed the noise issue a bit, but the water falls down to the emergency pipe all the time.

The first picture i attached u can tell the plumbing are too front facing. While they are supposed to be more to the middle. I cant stand that waterfall noise.

If somebody has any advice for me of how i can fix this issue it would be much appreciated. I finally have the courage to start this hobby again.

IMG_4621.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4612.mov
    20.6 MB

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No advice since I’m an AIO type, but I hope you get this resolved. What did Waterbox have to say?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got like a 1 second glimpse of what we actually need to see in that video, the water entering the overflow and dropping into the emergency drain in the same frame. Can you dial down the return pump a bit?

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your return valve and return pump GPH intensity is off. I have the same set up but red sea. My overflow box is full up to the emergency drain pipe.
It doesnt matter what my return pump speed gph is i tried 10% return speed up to 100%. Nothing worked i spent 3 weeks on this.

the emergency pipe is too short. I added a coupler to if, and it still an inch shorter. Now i have it where the water enters the emergency pipe but at least its quiet. Im just wonder how im gonna get that 1” height

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesnt matter what my return pump speed gph is i tried 10% return speed up to 100%. Nothing worked i spent 3 weeks on this.

the emergency pipe is too short. I added a coupler to if, and it still an inch shorter. Now i have it where the water enters the emergency pipe but at least its quiet. Im just wonder how im gonna get that 1” height
Mine has been running into the emergency pipe since day one with no issues.

Birdman Broham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Only way to get rid of the “waterfall” noise is to go with flexible hosing. Eshopps sells great hoses. As long as I’ve done this I have never hard plumbed. It’s just crazy I’m my opinion. (Reefers don’t attack me) but it prevents you from being able to move anything, adjust things, and just tacky looking.

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only way to get rid of the “waterfall” noise is to go with flexible hosing. Eshopps sells great hoses. As long as I’ve done this I have never hard plumbed. It’s just crazy I’m my opinion. (Reefers don’t attack me) but it prevents you from being able to move anything, adjust things, and just tacky looking.
That’s interesting! What are the cons of flexible tubing?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to tell from the image but it looks like the emergency drain is considerably higher than the main drain at least in the image. If that's the case it means you need to dial back the return pump.
Red Sea has a very similar set up (I have two) and that's always been the cause of water going down the emergency.
How much height difference is there between the main drain and the emergency drain?

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to tell from the image but it looks like the emergency drain is considerably higher than the main drain at least in the image. If that's the case it means you need to dial back the return pump.
Red Sea has a very similar set up (I have two) and that's always been the cause of water going down the emergency.
How much height difference is there between the main drain and the emergency drain?
The emergency pipe higher than the main drain thats how its like the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_4645.jpeg
    IMG_4645.jpeg
    22.9 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@charbel101

Talk about your experience with adjusting that when trying to dial it in...

Is there a r3ason why ypu don't want to open it more?
im not new to gate valves, had waterbox tanks before. They are sensitive. U need to do fine adjustements and wait 5-10 minutes to get it below the emergency pipe to get it quiet. It worked on the old tank. But since their emergency pipe here is too short under the emegency pipe teeth. It wont u can get the water under the emergency pipe. But the splashes coming down the emergency pipe makes the sound. When i lifted the water up over the emergency pipe that + the added riser it worked but i still need an inch or two of height. Also followed that video

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you don't just need to dial in the pump output and your gate valve?

It takes days sometimes to dial in the ratio of water output to water input. Like said above, you must make an adjustment and give it 10 minutes or so to equalize.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how it's supposed to be and the same on my tank
Yup but the only difference here that my pipes are too close to the front. And the emegency pipe is below the overflow box teeth.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what pump you have but when I switched to a DC pump it made adjustments much easier. Red Sea valves are very finicky.
EDIT : You probably don't want to hear it and don't take offence but the only thing I know of that will cause your issue is too much flow unless there is some sort of restriction on the main drain.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back